About This Chapter
Overview of Nutrition - Chapter Summary
In this chapter on nutrition, engaging lessons cover subjects like sources of protein and the function of lipids. You can also review what happens when you are deficient in vitamin C and calcium. After going through the lessons, you should feel confident and ready to do the following:
- List nutrients required for regulation of bodily processes
- Recall three different types of carbohydrates
- Explain the benefits of eating protein
- Recount the chemical structure of lipids
- Discuss the molecule that sparks the process of cellular respiration
- Describe the consequences of having an imbalanced diet
- Explain how to perform the iodine test for starch
Our instructors are particularly skilled at helping you absorb the concepts presented on this topic. A handy feature of this online learning platform is that you can submit questions to instructors if you need help. Additionally, a short quiz is available for each lesson to test your understanding of the concepts covered.
1. What is Nutrition?
Nutrition is the process of taking in nutrients from the foods you eat. Learn about the six nutrients needed for energy, maintenance of tissues and regulation of bodily processes: carbohydrates, fats, proteins, water, vitamins and minerals.
2. Structure and Function of Carbohydrates
Carbohydrates are found in many foods that we eat and may be found as sugars, starches, or fiber. Learn more about these three distinct types of carbohydrates, and how they are distinguished through their chemical structures in this lesson.
3. What is Protein? - Definition, Function, Benefits & Sources
In this lesson, you'll learn about the primary structure, function, and sources of protein molecules while exploring some real-world examples and illustrations.
4. Structure and Function of Lipids
Molecules called lipids have long hydrocarbon chains that determine the way they act. They can be fats, oils, or hormones, and even exist in our cell membranes. Learn more about the chemical structure and biological function of various lipids in this lesson.
5. What Is the Primary Fuel for Cellular Respiration?
Cellular respiration involves a few different steps and molecules to create energy for cells. One molecule in particular sparks the entire process. In this lesson, we'll discuss this molecule and some of its associated molecules.
6. Imbalanced Diet: Effects & Causes
This lesson discusses an imbalanced diet. You'll learn the nutrients that may be in excess or in deficiency, what the causes of an imbalanced diet may be, and the potential consequences of an imbalanced diet.
7. Testing for Nutrients: Iodine & Sugar
How do scientists know if a food has starch or sugar in it? Is there a way they can tell the difference between the two? This lesson will discuss how tests are performed for check for these two carbohydrates.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISEB Common Entrance Exam at 13+ Science: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Cells & Organization
- Human Gas Exchange Systems
- Human Reproduction Overview
- Reproduction in Plants
- Outside Influences on Health
- Overview of Photosynthesis
- Overview of Cellular Respiration
- Relationships in an Ecosystem
- Variation & Classification
- The Particulate Nature of Matter
- Atoms, Elements & Compounds Basics
- Pure & Impure Substances
- Chemical Reaction Basics
- Overview of Acids & Bases
- Energy Resources & Conservation
- Describing Motion
- Force, Rotation, Pressure & Density
- Sound Waves & Hearing
- Light Waves & Properties
- Basics of Circuits
- Magnetism & Electromagnets
- Physics of Space
- ISEB Common Entrance Exam at 13+ Science Flashcards