About This Chapter
Overview of Physical Activity & Fitness - Chapter Summary
It's easy to understand physical activity and fitness with this chapter of concise, easy-to-follow lessons. Topics covered include health, performance and fitness in physical activity and the benefits of regular physical activity on mental health, the lifespan and stress. Once you work through this chapter, you should be ready to accomplish these goals:
- Discuss how physical activity changes throughout life
- Outline the different components of exercise programs
- Identify cardiorespiratory fitness activities for various levels
- Define anaerobic exercise and explain its benefits
- Explain how to establish and monitor fitness goals
- Detail bioelectrical impedance analysis and waist-to-hip ratio
- Integrate fitness into daily life
- Differentiate between health-related and skill-related physical fitness
Our experienced instructors break down these concepts into bite-sized chunks so they are easy to understand and remember. The lesson quizzes and chapter test are a helpful way to see how you might do on test day and where you need to focus extra study. Any questions that you might have can be submitted through the Dashboard for one of our experts to answer.
1. Physical Activity: Health, Fitness and Performance
Physical activity is any movement of your muscles that uses energy. Physical activity helps you achieve better health, fitness and performance. Learn how the overload principle and specificity principle improve your fitness and performance.
2. The Benefits of Regular Physical Activity: Mental Health, Stress & Life Span
The mind and body can greatly benefit from even 30 minutes of exercise a day. Find out exactly what impact regular exercise can have on your mind, body, and lifespan in this video lesson.
3. How Physical Activity Changes Throughout Life
The amount and type of physical activity that people engage in changes throughout life. In this lesson, we'll explore how physical activity changes throughout the different life stages, from infancy to late adulthood.
4. Components of Exercise Programs: Aerobics, Strength Training & Stretching
Ever wonder what stretching, strength training, and aerobic exercises are? You'll learn about them in this lesson. You'll also find out what some basic recommendations are for each type of exercise.
5. Cardiorespiratory Fitness Activities for Various Levels
Cardiorespiratory fitness is important at all ages and at all levels of development. This lesson will explore the many different types of fitness activities for various levels of fitness. We will end with a brief quiz to test what you have learned.
6. Anaerobic Exercise: Definition, Benefits & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about anaerobic exercise and its health benefits. In addition, you will obtain knowledge of the various types of anaerobic workouts.
7. How to Establish & Monitor Fitness Goals
Confused about how to establish, monitor, and achieve your fitness and nutrition goals? This lesson explains how to use the SMART approach to successfully manage these important objectives.
8. Body Composition Estimations: Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis & Waist-to-Hip Ratio
Your body composition is the relative proportions of fat and lean tissue found on your body. Learn how body composition is evaluated using methods such as bioelectrical impedance analysis and the waist-to-hip ratio.
9. Integrating Fitness into Daily Life
Physical fitness offers many benefits. This lesson will discuss some ways for integrating fitness into your daily life, including the use of technology to keep you on track.
10. Health-Related & Skill-Related Physical Fitness
In this lesson, you will learn about the difference between health-related physical fitness and skill-related physical fitness. You will also gain a clear understanding of the characteristics that are health-related or skill-related.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Physical Education (076): Study Guide & Practice course
- Motor Development & Learning
- Stages of Human Development
- Influences on Human Growth & Development
- Cognitive & Socioemotional Benefits of Physical Activity
- Anatomy & Exercise Physiology
- Basic Principles of Nutrition
- Overview of Health & Wellness
- Conditioning & Training Principles
- Flexibility, Strength & Endurance
- Human Biomechanics & Kinesiology
- Locomotor, Non-locomotor & Manipulative Skills
- Rhythmic Movement & Dance
- Softball Rules & Skills
- Soccer History & Rules
- Tennis Rules & Techniques
- History & Rules of Track & Field
- Volleyball History & Rules
- Recreational, Outdoor & Aquatic Activities
- History & Philosophy of Physical Education
- Physical Education Curriculum Development
- Instructional Strategies for Physical Education
- Assessment in Physical Education