About This Chapter
Overview of Physical Education - Chapter Summary
Whether you're looking to refresh or expand your understanding of physical education, the engaging lessons in this chapter can help! Get reacquainted with fundamental and dynamic movement skills, the relationship between socialization and physical activity, safety guidelines for physical education and more. Upon completion of this chapter, you will be able to:
- List and describe the stages of motor development in children
- Explain the benefits of physical activity for children's growth and development
- Share strategies for teaching progressions for motor skill attainment
- Identify and discuss methods for teaching physical education lessons
- Discuss methods for organizing sports and recreational activities
- Detail principles to consider when developing physical education curriculum and determining appropriate activities
Feel free to choose any or all of the lessons to review, based on your current comprehension of physical education. As you progress through the lessons, be sure to send any questions to our experts that can help you gain full comprehension of specific topics. Our mini quizzes make it easy to assess your knowledge of each lesson you study. Enjoy 24/7 access that lets you utilize these resources whenever your schedule permits.
1. Fundamental & Dynamic Movement Skills
In this lesson, we discuss both fundamental and dynamic movement skills. We review a human's first five years of life, and we discuss the concepts of agility, balance, and coordination. We also recap various types of movement skills.
2. Domains of Motor Learning in Children
How do we learn to move? How do we learn to do things like play sports? In this lesson, we'll talk about the stages of motor development in children. We'll discuss the basic stages of motor development, from beginning to learn a motor movement to mastering it.
3. Physical Activity Benefits for Children's Growth & Development
Is exercise all that important to kids? If so, then what kind of exercise and how much is appropriate? This lesson answers these questions and relays the benefits of childhood exercise.
4. The Relationship Between Socialization & Physical Activity
In this lesson, we discuss the relationship between exercising and socialization. We review the benefits that this relationship can bring and detail some of the popular activities. We also elaborate on senior citizens' benefits of socialization along with the use of the Internet.
5. Teaching Progressions for Motor Skill Attainment
In this lesson, you'll learn about different types of motor skills and why these are so important to a child's development. Find out what is meant by motor skills progression and how you can support students appropriately.
6. Methods for Teaching Physical Education Lessons
Do you recall the sometimes fun and other times exasperating days of physical education class? In this lesson, we discuss various methods for teaching physical education lessons.
7. Organizing Sports & Recreational Activities
In this lesson we discuss how to organize sports and recreational activities. We review older and newer methods for achieving success in these goals. We also review rules, etiquette, equipment, and safety practices.
8. Physical Education Activities & Curriculum Development
In this lesson, we focus on the key principles to keep in mind when developing a physical education curriculum, including ensuring you design appropriate activities for your class.
9. Safety Guidelines for Physical Education
Physical education is a ton of fun, but the activities therein can be very dangerous if not properly monitored. This lesson gives you examples of safety guidelines for physical education.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Elementary/Middle Grades (110): Practice & Study Guide course
- Teaching Strategies for Word Analysis & Vocabulary Development
- Developing Skills for Reading Comprehension
- Reading Comprehension Overview & Instruction
- Overview of Literary Types & Characteristics
- Selecting Reading Materials for the Classroom
- Writing Development & Instructional Strategies
- Overview of the Writing Process
- Listening & Speaking Skills for the Classroom
- Assessing & Promoting Literacy Development in the Classroom
- Mathematical Problem-Solving Strategies
- Instructional Strategies for Numeracy & Basic Math Skills
- Algebra & Geometry Concepts for Teachers
- Teaching Measurement, Statistics & Probability
- Fundamentals of Life Science
- Fundamentals of Physical Science
- Fundamentals of Earth & Space Science
- Fundamentals of Scientific Investigation in the Classroom
- Government & Citizenship Overview for Educators in Illinois
- Overview of Economics & Political Principles for Illinois Educators
- Overview of History & Cultural Development for Illinois Educators
- Fundamentals of Human Geography for Illinois Educators
- Social Science Concepts for Educators
- Overview of the Arts for Educators
- Personal, Family & Community Health Overview for Educators
- ILTS Elementary/Middle Grades Flashcards