About This Chapter
Overview of Pulmonary Nursing Actions - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll review nursing actions for a variety of pulmonary treatments. After defining relevant pulmonary vocabulary, you'll take a look at respiratory-related nursing assessments, diagnostic tests and monitoring devices. Studying this chapter can help you:
- Define treatment vocabulary related to the lungs, thorax and pleura
- Explain respiratory system nursing assessments
- Understand terminology related to respiratory disease diagnostic imaging
- Differentiate between normal and abnormal pulmonary diagnostic results
- Interpret arterial blood gas and acid base balance tests
- Identify respiratory monitoring devices
You can complete this chapter any time using your desktop, laptop, smartphone or tablet. To help you reinforce the lesson concepts, we've included self-assessment quizzes throughout the chapter. Be sure to take the chapter exam, and feel free to reach out to our instructors if you have any questions about these nursing actions.
1. Treatment Vocabulary for Lungs, Pleura & Thorax
This lesson is going to define several terms related to procedures involving the chest, lungs, and pleura: thoracotomy, thoracostomy, thoracentesis, pleurectomy, lobectomy, and pneumonectomy.
2. Nursing Assessment of the Respiratory System
This lesson examines a nursing approach to respiratory assessment. We will review the respiratory system's structure and function, and describe how to perform a history and physical focusing on this system, making use of subjective data, objective data, and documentation of the assessment process
3. Diagnostic Imaging for Respiratory Diseases: Terminology
This lesson goes over the ways doctors can diagnose respiratory problems using diagnostic imaging techniques. It mainly covers chest imaging, bronchoscopy, and laryngoscopy.
4. Interpreting Pulmonary Diagnostics: Normal vs. Abnormal Results
There are many different tests that can be performed to see how well the lungs are working. Learn how to analyze and interpret the results of some specific pulmonary function tests.
5. Arterial Blood Gas and Acid Base Balance: Tests and Interpretation
This lesson will discuss what the arterial blood gas test is and how it is used to interpret acid/base balance in your body. You'll learn about partial pressures, hypercapnia, acidemia, and alkalosis.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AACN CCRN (Adult) Certification: Exam Review & Study Guide course
- Patient Assessment & Diagnostics
- Medication Management for Nursing
- Nursing Procedures & Emergency Response
- Acute Coronary Syndromes & Cardiovascular Emergencies
- Aneurysms & Cardiovascular Diseases
- Understanding Heart Disease & Failure
- Understanding Defects & Disorders of the Heart
- Cardiovascular Nursing Actions
- Acute Respiratory Conditions
- Chronic Respiratory Conditions
- Thoracic Injury & Trauma
- Pulmonary Nursing Actions & Tools for Pulmonary Procedures
- Understanding Endocrine Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Nursing Actions
- Understanding Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Gastrointestinal Nursing Actions
- Understanding Renal Disorders
- Nursing Actions for Renal Problems
- Understanding Integumentary Disorders
- Integumentary Nursing Actions
- Musculoskeletal Disorders & Nursing Actions
- Understanding Neurological Disorders
- Understanding Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Neurological Nursing Actions
- Understanding Behavioral & Psychosocial Disorders for Nurses
- Behavioral & Psychological Nursing Actions
- Multisystem Clinical Judgments in Nursing
- Understanding Sepsis & Shock
- Healthcare-Associated Infections
- Sedation Nursing Actions
- Professional Care & Ethical Practices in Nursing