About This Chapter
Overview of Real Numbers - Chapter Summary
Use this chapter to get tips for working with real and rational numbers. Listed below are just some of the video lessons available to help you prepare for questions on the GED exam's mathematical reasoning section:
- Rational numbers
- Fraction notation
- Decimal notation
- Absolute values
Our online video lessons include animations and graphical illustrations to help improve your recall of the material. There are also video tags and corresponding transcripts that allow you to skip ahead or go back to the points you're interested in at the click of a mouse. At any point during your studies, you can also access self-assessment quizzes to determine whether you need to revisit concepts covered in a lesson or confidently move on to the next one.
Overview of Real Numbers - Chapter Objectives
If you're looking to pass the GED exam and earn a high school equivalency diploma, you'll need scores of 150 or higher on each of its four sections. This overview of real numbers chapter can help you prepare for the types of questions you'll encounter on the mathematical reasoning section, which lasts 90 minutes and assesses your ability to employ mathematical problem-solving skills in everyday situations.
Lessons included here could help you answer questions requiring you to plot points on a number line, convert a rational number into fraction or decimal notation, determine inequalities, and find a number's absolute value. These types of questions are included in the exam's quantitative problem solving content domain and make up around 45% of test content.
1. What are the Different Types of Numbers?
Learn all of the different types of numbers: natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and real numbers. This video lesson teaches you how to classify any numbers you come across.
2. Graphing Rational Numbers on a Number Line
Number lines have many uses both in mathematics and everyday life. This lesson will teach you how to graph numbers on a number line and give real-world examples of how to use number lines.
3. Notation for Rational Numbers, Fractions & Decimals
How do fractions become decimals? And how do decimals become fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn about the notation of rational numbers, fractions and decimals and learn how they're related.
4. The Order of Real Numbers: Inequalities
An inequality is an operation describing how one number can be compared to another. This lesson will describe and define inequalities and the symbols used to represent them. It will also give some examples on how to work with inequalities.
5. Finding the Absolute Value of a Real Number
You can find the absolute value of any real number. This lesson will define absolute value, explain what real numbers are and give the steps to finding the absolute value of any real number.
6. Finding the Absolute Value of a Rational Number
Watch this video lesson and you will learn how to deal with absolute values of simple numbers and more complex problems. Learn the order in which you should do calculations so that your answers are correct.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the College Algebra: Help and Review course
- Basic Arithmetic
- Foundations and Linear Equations: Help and Review
- Overview of Linear Equations
- Matrices and Absolute Value: Help and Review
- Inequalities: Help and Review
- Using FOIL, Graphing Parabolas & Solving Quadratics to Factor: Help & Review
- Properties of Polynomial Functions
- Working with Quadratic Equations
- Complex Numbers: Help and Review
- Exponents and Exponential Expressions
- Overview of Exponents
- Exponents and Polynomials: Help and Review
- Algebraic Expressions and Equations
- Rational Expressions: Help and Review
- Working with Rational Expressions
- Math Expressions and Formulas
- Functions: Help and Review
- Exponentials and Logarithms: Help and Review
- Probability Mechanics: Help and Review
- Calculations, Ratios & Proportions
- Percent Notation
- Data, Statistics & Probability
- Sequences and Series: Help and Review
- Basic Number Sense and Operations