About This Chapter
Overview of RNA Viruses - Chapter Summary
Work through this chapter at your own pace to get a high-level overview of RNA viruses. Our expert instructors will show you important information about several virus families, and they'll help you compare the causes, symptoms and treatments of diseases like yellow fever, measles, rabies, rubella, HIV and much more. Be sure to try the accompanying self-assessment quizzes and chapter exam. You can access the chapter's lessons and quizzes on any Internet-connected device, and our instructors are available to answer any questions you may have. By the end of the chapter, you'll be able to:
- Discuss the transmission of the Lassa virus
- Assess gastrointestinal infections from the Astroviridae virus family
- Recognize Bunyaviridae structure, transmission and disease
- Identify viruses from Caliciviridae, Flaviviridae, Orthomyxoviridae and Paramyxoviridae virus families
- Understand the effects of the Ebola virus
- Describe Picornaviridae virus family diseases, including polio, hepatitis A and foot and mouth disease
- Evaluate diseases of the Rhabdoviridae, Togaviridae and Retroviridae virus families
- Assess HIV symptoms, diagnoses and treatment methodologies
1. Lassa Virus and Bloody Fever: Arenaviridae Structure, Disease, and Transmission
In this lesson, we'll delve into the Arenaviridae virus family, where we will explore all sorts of odd sounding names like the Lujo virus, Lassa virus, lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus and plenty more!
2. Gastrointestinal Infection by the Astroviridae Virus Family
This lesson will focus on something more commonly known as the stomach flu, its more technical name, and how it is spread. We'll also delve into some of the ways we can prevent the stomach flu from affecting us. Find out more as we look into viral gastroenteritis, chlorination, and serotypes.
3. Californian Brain Inflammation: Bunyaviridae Structure, Transmission, and Disease
Find out how dangerous mosquitoes and rats can be as we take a look at several viruses they carry that cause everything from encephalitis to shortness of breath. We'll explore Rift Valley Fever, California Encephalitis, Hantavirus and La Crosse Encephalitis.
4. The Stomach Flu & Viruses of the Caliciviridae Virus Family
In this lesson, you'll learn about the most common cause of the stomach flu. We'll venture into the Caliciviridae virus family, its famous viruses, such as the Norwalk virus, as well as the diseases they cause.
5. The Ebola Virus and other Deadly Filoviridae Viruses
This lesson will delve into some exotic, but utterly deadly diseases attributed to viruses of the Filoviridae family. Find out what terrible things they cause, as we explore the Ebola virus, the Marburg virus, petechiae, and ecchymoses.
6. West Nile Virus, Yellow Fever, and Hepatitis C: The Flaviviridae Virus Family
This lesson will delve into some well-known diseases, and the viruses that cause them. We'll take a look at the West Nile virus, dengue fever, yellow fever, hepatitis C, and something called icterus.
7. The Orthomyxoviridae Virus Family: Influenza, Flu Shots, and More
When it's cold season, you'd be smart to get a flu shot. This lesson will delve into influenza pandemics, epidemics, the bird flu, the swine flu, hemagglutinin, neuraminidase, and much more as we explore the members of the Orthomyxoviridae virus family.
8. Measles and Mumps: Disease of the Paramyxoviridae Virus Family
This lesson will teach you about the viruses of the Paramyxoviridae family and the diseases they cause. We'll delve into measles, mumps, human parainfluenza, and the respiratory syncytial virus.
9. Polio, Foot and Mouth Disease, and Hepatitis A: The Picornaviridae Virus Family
Learn about some of the most famous diseases known to humankind in this lesson, including the common cold, polio, foot and mouth disease, and hepatitis A among others, as we explore the Picornaviridae virus family.
10. Rabies and Fear of Water: Diseases of the Rhabdoviridae Virus Family
Learn about why some people are afraid of water when they are infected by a virus. This and much more will be covered in this lesson on the Rhabdoviridae virus family, its structure and its mode of transmission.
11. Rubella and German Measles: Diseases of the Togaviridae Virus Family
In this lesson, you will learn about German measles, rubella, and three closely related viruses called Eastern equine encephalitis, Western equine encephalitis, and Venezuelan equine encephalitis, as well as their serious consequences.
12. HIV and AIDS: Mechanisms and Diseases of the Retroviridae Virus Family
Learn about one of the most famous viruses in the world: HIV. We'll also delve into a condition you've almost certainly heard of: AIDS. Finally, we'll discuss the mechanisms of how viruses in this family cause so much damage and if there's anything you can do about it.
13. HIV: Symptoms & Diagnosis
In this lesson, we'll review the symptoms and diagnosis of human immunodeficiency virus infections, more commonly known as HIV. We'll also briefly discuss risk factors and testing in a patient education centered approach.
14. Treatment Methodologies for HIV
This lesson will delve into the basics of HIV therapy. You will learn about cocktails, protease inhibitors and reverse transcriptase inhibitors, as well as how they work and how they are used.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UExcel Microbiology: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Early History of Microbiology
- Fundamentals of Microbiology
- Microbiology Laboratory Procedures
- Understanding Genetics & DNA
- Understanding Metabolism
- Bacterial Biology
- Understanding Diseases
- Protozoan Diseases
- Understanding Viruses
- Overview of DNA Viruses
- Overview of Fungal Infections
- Illnesses & Infections of the GI Tract
- Overview of Bacterial STDs
- Understanding Blood-Borne Bacterial Diseases
- Respiratory Bacterial Infections
- Bacterial Skin and Wound Infections
- Immunology Basics
- Structure & Function of the Immune System
- Overview of Antigens
- Disorders of the Immune System
- Serological & Diagnostic Reactions
- Antimicrobial Drugs Overview
- Sterilization & Antiseptic Methods
- Chemical Methods of Microbial Control
- Effectiveness of Antiseptics & Disinfectants
- Microbiology & the Environment
- Food & Industrial Microbiology Overview
- UExcel Microbiology Flashcards