About This Chapter
Overview of Spanish-Speaking Culture & Etiquette - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Check out this Spanish language chapter to review the cultures of several Spanish-speaking countries. These entertaining lessons break down the customs, traditions, daily routines, lifestyles, art, music and tourism of Spanish-speaking cultures across North America, South America, Central America and Europe. Be sure to take the included lesson quizzes and chapter exam to solidify your understanding of these cultures. The online format of the chapter allows you to study wherever and whenever it's convenient. By the end of the chapter, you'll be able to evaluate Spanish-speaking cultures in the following countries. You also learn about common etiquette in these cultures and how to discuss cultural practices appropriately.
1. Spanish-Speaking Culture in Mexico
Mexico, the southern neighbor of the United States, is a country rich in traditions and natural beauty. In this lesson we will focus on Mexico's customs, traditions, lifestyle and some of the things that make this country unique.
2. Spanish-Speaking Culture in Colombia
In this lesson we will arrive in Colombia, the country of cumbia and arepas. We will see some of its most famous monuments and its most curious traditions.
3. Spanish-Speaking Culture in the United States
The Spanish speaking community in the United States has dramatically grown in recent decades. In this lesson, we'll explore how the Spanish language and culture affects American culture, focusing on some customs and traditions, lifestyle, arts and music, and tourism.
4. Spanish-Speaking Culture in Argentina
In this lesson, we will learn about the culture of Argentina, a great country in the extreme south of South America. We will see some of its monuments, its music, its writers, and its curiosities. Read on to find out about mate and tango!
5. Spanish-Speaking Culture in Spain
The Spanish language emerged in Spain, a country in western Europe, rich in history and traditions. In this lesson, we take a look at some of the customs, traditions and lifestyle in this country, while we learn some related vocabulary.
6. Spanish-Speaking Culture in Peru
The Spanish-speaking country of Peru is rich in culture and natural beauty from the ancient customs of the Quechua people to the dizzying mountains of the Andes. This lesson will explore the country of Peru, including its customs, art, and tourism.
7. Spanish-Speaking Culture in Venezuela
In this lesson we are going to make a trip through Venezuela, a country full of culture and tradition. We will learn something of its history, several places to visit, its traditions, celebrations, and some delicious recipes.
8. Spanish-Speaking Culture in Chile
What do you know about Chile? This lesson explores this beautiful South American country, whose official language is Spanish, providing an overview of the customs, traditions and lifestyle of its people.
9. Spanish-Speaking Culture in Ecuador
Are you ready to learn about the culture that characterizes Ecuador? This Spanish-speaking country has a lot to offer and this lesson summarizes the main aspects of Ecuadorian culture.
10. Spanish-Speaking Culture in Guatemala
In this lesson, we are going to travel through Central America to see a truly fascinating country: Guatemala. It's a country with unique, important Mayan traditions. After reading the lesson, you might want to visit it!
11. Cultural Etiquette in Spanish-Speaking South America
Each country in South America is unique, but some cultural aspects are shared. This lesson concentrates on those aspects while highlighting some important differences.
12. Cultural Etiquette in Spain
This lesson provides you with an overview of some practices that surround the Spanish culture so you can make the most of your visit - whether it is for pleasure, business, or any other purpose!
13. Cultural Etiquette in Spanish-Speaking Caribbean Islands
In this lesson we focus on some basic etiquette you need to take into account when traveling to any of the Caribbean Islands. Afterwards, you can test your knowledge with a quiz.
14. Discussing Common Cultural Practices in Spanish-Speaking Countries
The Spanish-speaking world is very rich and diverse in terms of cultural practices. However, there are some common cultural practices that you can learn about and discuss by using the vocabulary this lesson gives you.
15. Discussing Similarities in Cultures in Spanish
Would you like to be able to talk about the cultural similarities between different Spanish-speaking countries? This lesson not only gives you a few basic topics you can discuss but also a context for making comparisons.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Spanish 101: Beginning Spanish course
- Greetings & Introductions in Spanish
- Describing People in Spanish
- Locations in Spanish: Vocabulary & Grammar
- Household Terms in Spanish
- Weather and Seasons in Spanish
- Asking Questions in Spanish
- Spanish Numbers
- Days & Dates in Spanish
- Telling Time in Spanish
- Likes and Dislikes in Spanish
- AR Verbs in Spanish: Present Tense Conjugation and Vocabulary List
- ER and IR Verbs in Spanish: Present Tense
- Pastimes in Spanish
- Technology in Spanish
- Talking About Family Members in Spanish
- Shopping in Spanish
- Discussing the Past in Spanish
- Talking About Vacations in Spanish
- TV, Movies & Media in Spanish
- Discussing Community in Spanish
- Discussing Natural Disasters/Emergencies in Spanish
- As a Child in Spanish
- Spanish Fables
- Required Assignments for Spanish 101
- Studying for Spanish 101