About This Chapter
Overview of System Analysis & Design - Chapter Summary
Get ready to quickly and easily study system design and analysis with this chapter. Our series of absorbing lessons covers subjects such as the importance of system analysis and the life cycle associated with system analysis and design. To help you master your understanding of these topics, we've included a comprehensive test at the end of the chapter and short quizzes with each lesson. Monitor your progress and submit questions to an instructor through the Dashboard if needed. This chapter is designed to assist you in meeting the following objectives:
- Define system analysis in software engineering
- Outline the techniques and tools used in system design and analysis
- Write a system analysis report successfully
- Explain business transaction management and the tools it uses
- Detail the roles and responsibilities of a systems analyst
- Discuss the techniques used in structured analysis and structured design
- Identify the history of structured design and structured analysis
1. The System Analysis & Design Life Cycle
When you build a house, you start with a floor plan. When you build an information system (hardware, software or both), you go through the system development life cycle (SDLC). In this lesson, we'll examine the steps of the SDLC.
2. Why is System Analysis Important?
In this lesson, we define a system and learn about the process of system analysis. We examine the different stages of systems analysis that makes it so important in system design.
3. What is System Analysis in Software Engineering?
In this lesson, we will explore the concept of software engineering and examine why it is important and the activities that go into a typical systems analysis.
4. What Does a Systems Analyst Do? - Role & Responsibilities
A systems analyst acts as a bridge between business requirements and the capabilities of the IT staff. In this lesson, we'll examine the role and responsibilities of the system analyst and different variations of the job.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the System Analysis & Design: Help & Review course
- Domain Modeling
- Infrastructure & Architecture for System Analysis & Design
- Modeling & Diagramming in System Analysis & Design
- Software Development & Testing
- Systems Modeling Language (SysML)
- Unified Modeling Language (UML)
- Object-Oriented Design
- Software Development Methodologies
- Service-Oriented Architecture