About This Chapter
Overview of the Economy & Geography - Chapter Summary
In this informative chapter, our instructors outline key aspects of the economy and geography. These lessons cover topics including economic activity during the pre-industrial, industrial and post-industrial eras and exchange and contact between societies. After reviewing this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Discuss the advantages of the global economy
- Detail the factors that affect economic development
- Explain the distribution patterns of economic activities
- Identify the forms of economic distribution and exchange in society
Review these lessons on your mobile phone, tablet or computer 24 hours a day to study at your convenience. Before or after working through these lessons, take the short quiz that follows to ensure that you've understood the topics and to see if you're ready for an upcoming exam. If you need to go back and review a portion of a video lesson over again, use the video tabs feature in the Timeline.
1. Economic Activity: Pre-Industrial, Industrial & Post-Industrial
This lesson will explore the eras of pre-industrialism, industrialism, and post-industrialism. In doing so, it will highlight subsistence-level living, cottage industries, and the service industry.
2. The Global Economy: Advantages, Expansion & Impact
This lesson will explain the concept of economic globalization. We will look at both its positive and negative effects while also highlighting the terms 'import,' 'export,' and 'capital flight.'
3. Factors that Affect Economic Development: Population, Conflict, Geography & the Environment
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what economic development is and describe some of the factors that affect economic development and how they do so. A short quiz will follow.
4. Distribution Patterns of Economic Activities
After watching this video, you should be able to describe what determines the distribution of economic activities, both historically and currently. A short quiz will follow.
5. Forms of Economic Distribution & Exchange within Society
This lesson will seek to explain the different forms of economic distribution found across the globe. It will highlight generalized and balanced reciprocity as well as redistribution and market exchange.
6. The Effects of Contact & Exchange Between Societies
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what societies are, and describe the effects, both positive and negative, of contact and exchange between those societies. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Citizenship Education - Content Knowledge (5087): Practice & Study Guide course
- Ancient Greece & Rome
- Ancient Persia, India & China
- Byzantine Empire & Crusades
- Overview of World Religions
- Global Dynasties (300-1400 CE)
- Renaissance, Reformation & Enlightenment
- Early North American History
- Understanding European Colonization
- The American Revolution & US Constitution
- US Expansion, Civil War & Reconstruction Period
- Historical Impact of Trade & Revolutions
- 1800s & 1900s Imperialism Overview
- World War I, the Progressive Era & the New Deal
- World War II & The Cold War
- Protests, Activism & Civil Disobedience
- Vietnam War & Political Conservatism
- The Contemporary Role of the US
- Political Ideologies & Philosophy
- US Government & Politics Overview
- World Governments & International Relations
- Geographical Maps & Spatial Concepts
- Overview of Humans & the Environment
- Family Systems, Gender Roles & Religion
- Language, Ethnicity & Culture
- Human Migration & Settlement
- Agriculture & Food Science Basics
- Demographic Patterns
- Overview of Political Geography
- Overview of Microeconomics
- Overview of Macroeconomics
- Personal Finance Basics
- Praxis Citizenship Education: Content Knowledge Flashcards