About This Chapter
Overview of the Health Care System - Chapter Summary
This informative chapter provides you with an overview of the health care system. Our lessons cover the structure of the U.S. health care system and the different types of systems available worldwide. These learning tools help you study at your convenience, 24 hours a day. Each lesson is accompanied by a short quiz that tests your comprehension level. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to one of our helpful instructors. After completing this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Detail the history of health care in the U.S.
- Define managed care
- Explain the quality and cost of the U.S. health care system
- Outline how the U.S. health care system is structured
- Discuss the different types of integrated health systems
- Identify the divisions of the health care system
1. Health Care Systems: Types & Concept
In this lesson, we will take a look at the different types of health care systems and how they affect the lives and well-being of communities around the world.
2. The History of Health Care in the United States
The lesson will depict the history of the health care system in the United States and how it has evolved. It will address its various impacts on society as well.
3. What Is Managed Care? - Definition, History & Systems
This healthcare lesson will define managed care in an understandable format, providing a brief history and giving a description of the three basic delivery systems, or insurance plan options.
4. The U.S. Health Care System: Description, Structure, Cost, Quality & Access
This lesson will explore the issues associated with the costs and quality of health care access, as well as what HMOs, PPOs, POS, HSAs, Medicare, and Medicaid are.
5. Structure of the U.S. Healthcare System
This lesson focuses on the stakeholders in the U.S. Healthcare System and gaining an understanding of their relationships with one another. Emphasis is also aimed at defining health, community, and health services administration.
6. Integrated Health Systems: Definition & Types
After completing this lesson you will be able to define integrated health systems as well as identify the types of integrated health systems that exist.
7. Divisions of the Healthcare System
There are many divisions within the healthcare system in the United States. This lesson will discuss some overlooked but extremely important sectors of the healthcare industry.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 307: Healthcare Delivery Systems course
- Connecting Health with Health Care Delivery
- Systems for Health Care Delivery
- Health Care Delivery Professionals
- Health Care Delivery Technology
- Health Care System Access
- Health Care Systems: Quality & Ethics
- Health Care System Policy & Practice
- Health Care Costs & Financing
- Health Care Delivery Systems: Future Considerations
- Required Assignments for Health 307