About This Chapter
Overview of the Hydrosphere - Chapter Summary
This science chapter provides a high-level overview of the hydrosphere. Follow along with our expert instructors to review the water cycle, the biological diversity of water, maritime climates, oceans and much more. When you're finished with the chapter, you should be able to:
- Summarize the processes that occur during the water cycle
- Assess the biological diversity of salt water and freshwater
- Differentiate between continental and maritime climates
- Interpret facts about oceans
- Describe ocean circulation patterns and their effects on climate
- Recognize the characteristics of drainage basins
The bite-sized and entertaining nature of these lessons helps you quickly move through the chapter and remember important hydrosphere concepts. You can further your understanding of the information by taking the included lesson quizzes and chapter exam. Finally, you can access these resources any time using your computer or mobile device.
1. The Water Cycle: Precipitation, Condensation, and Evaporation
This lesson discusses the processes water takes as it moves around the Earth in the water cycle. You'll get an in-depth look at condensation, precipitation, and evaporation.
2. Ecosystems of Oceans and Freshwater: Biological Diversity and Water
In this lesson, you'll learn about the biodiversity of ecosystems based on water. You will discover that marine, freshwater and a mixture of salt and freshwater create very different ecosystems, which in turn influence the amount of biodiversity that is found in these habitats.
3. Differences Between Maritime & Continental Climates
The temperature in California is perfect! How did Californians get so lucky? Read about maritime and continental climates to find the answer, then test your understanding with a short quiz.
4. Oceans: Facts & Information
Over fifty percent of the world's population lives near a coastline. The oceans of the world affect our everyday lives, from recreation to resources, to climate. Learn some fun facts about this unique feature of our planet!
5. Ocean Circulation: Patterns & Effect on Climate
The ocean waters are always in motion and as they travel around the globe they carry and distribute heat, which affects the global climate. Learn about the ocean circulation patterns and how they impact the climate.
6. Drainage Basins: Definition & Characteristics
Do you know where the water in your area flows? In this lesson, we will explore the system of drainage basins and how they help develop river systems. We will also investigate some extreme examples of drainage basins.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExMaT Master Science Teacher 4-8 (091): Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Understanding Properties of Matter
- Chemical Structures, Bonds, Formulas & Equations
- The Relationship Between Force & Motion
- Energy & Energy Transformations
- Characteristics & Needs of Organisms
- Reproduction, Heredity & Evolution
- Organisms within Ecosystems
- Properties of Earth's Materials
- Earth's Formation & Processes
- Earth's Atmosphere, Weather & Climate
- Formation & Exploration of the Solar System & Universe
- The Solar System's Components & Influences
- Science's Historical, Personal & Societal Contexts
- Nature of Science & Unifying Themes
- Methods of Scientific Inquiry
- Managing Scientific Data
- Science Education Safety
- Alignment of Texas Science Instruction for Young Learners
- Teaching Strategies for Science
- The Science Learning & Teaching Environment
- Understanding & Implementing Student Assessment
- Leadership, Communication & Collaboration in Science Education
- Mentoring & Professional Development for Texas Science Teachers
- Strategies & Resources for Teaching Science to Young Learners
- TExMaT Master Science Teacher 4-8 Flashcards