About This Chapter
Overview of the Major Muscle Groups of the Human Body - Chapter Summary
Study this overview of the major muscle groups of the body and refresh your knowledge of these fundamental concepts. With lessons covering each group, this chapter divides the body into manageable sections. You'll get a review of the basic functions of muscles as well as a brief discussion of how they work together. The lessons include fun videos to illustrate key concepts and help you remember important information.
After you complete the chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe the function and organization of muscles in the body
- List the muscles of the arms and explain their functions
- Name the muscles above the knee and detail their organization
- Explain the muscular organization of the lower leg, foot, and toes
- Discuss the muscles of the trunk, including the chest and abdomen
- Outline the function and organization of the back, neck and face muscles
Our lessons are available via desktop and mobile access so you can study anywhere, anytime. With the timeline feature, you can easily jump to specific points in a video. You can also enter audio mode to listen to the video's instructor at your convenience. Each lesson also includes a full transcript. At the end of this chapter, you'll have a better understanding of the body's muscle groups, their organization, and the important ways in which they work together.
1. What Is the Muscular System? - Function & How Muscles Work in Groups
Ever feel overwhelmed when you look at all those muscles in your textbooks? Well, if you do, then maybe learning a little about their anatomy and organization and how they work together will help you sort through it all. In this lesson, learn about the muscle itself and how it works with others to help the muscular system function.
2. Muscular Function and Anatomy of the Arms: Major Muscle Groups
Learning all the muscles of the muscle system can be a pretty daunting task, but we will try and help you by focusing just on the major muscles of the arm in this lesson on arm anatomy.
3. Muscular Function and Anatomy of the Upper Leg
Our legs allow us to do everything from walking to dancing to just standing still. All these actions involve the function of many muscles. Learn about the muscles above the knee in this lesson covering muscles of the hip, thigh, and leg.
4. Muscular Function and Anatomy of the Lower Leg and Foot
Did you know that most of the muscles that control the movement of your foot are actually located in your lower leg? Learn about the muscles below the knee that control the feet and toes in this lesson.
5. Function & Anatomy of the Muscles of the Chest and Abdomen
Did you know your body has a trunk? No, not like an elephant's trunk. Your trunk encompasses the chest, back and abdomen. In this lesson you'll learn about some of the main muscles of the chest and abdomen.
6. Function & Anatomy of the Muscles of the Face, Neck & Back
Do you know how many muscles are in your face? Or what animal has the largest tongue? Learn the answer to these questions and more in this lesson on the muscle anatomy of the face, neck and back.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Health & Physical Education (615): Practice & Study Guide course
- Mental & Emotional Health
- Personal Health & Wellness
- Relationships & Communication
- Types & Stages of Human Development
- Human Body Organs & Systems
- Sexual Health
- Diet, Nutrition & Health Problems
- Drugs & Substance Abuse
- Personal Safety & Injury Prevention
- Basics of Physical Education
- Kinesiology & Biomechanics
- Exercise Physiology & Fitness for Physical Education
- Motor Skill Development
- Sports, Physical Activity & Fitness
- Softball Rules & Skills
- Soccer History & Rules
- Swimming Skills & Benefits
- Tennis Rules & Techniques
- Volleyball History & Rules
- History & Rules of Track & Field
- Outdoor, Adventure & Cooperative Physical Education
- Dance Concepts & Forms
- Creating Fitness & Exercise Plans
- Health & Physical Education Classroom Management
- Motivation in the Physical Education Classroom
- Communication & Collaboration in Physical Education
- Physical Education Curriculum & Assessments
- Physical Education Planning & Instruction
- Equitable Physical Education for Diverse Students
- Professionalism for Health & Physical Education Teachers
- GACE Health & Physical Education Flashcards