About This Chapter
Overview of the Tourism Industry - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our instructors provide an overview of the tourism industry for your review. These lessons cover the definition of tourism, its characteristics and different types of tourism. You can review the entire chapter as a great test prep exercise, or just the lessons and topics that you know you need to work on. After each lesson, you'll find a multiple-choice quiz to help keep you on track. Our printable lesson transcripts make great study guides you can use to study keywords and topics offline any time while you're preparing. Once this chapter is completed, you should be ready to:
- Detail the different sectors of the tourism industry
- Define the relationship between hospitality and tourism
- Explain how tourism and geography are related
- Discuss tourism from a historical perspective
- Identify the impact tourism has on the economy
- Outline what tourism management is
1. Tourism: Characteristics & Types
This lesson goes over something we all love: tourism. You'll learn about some of the different types of tourism as well as the characteristics that all types of tourism share.
2. Sectors of the Tourism Industry
Read this lesson to learn about the various parts that make up the tourism industry. You'll also learn how they work together to create the travel experience that travelers are looking for.
3. Relationship Between Tourism & Hospitality
Traveling to different destinations is a fun activity that millions of people do each year. Whether it is on a family vacation or a weekend away with friends, often times our travels requires services such as hotels and places to eat. Come along as we discover how tourism and hospitality are related.
4. The Relationship Between Tourism & Geography
This lesson covers some introductory topics related to tourism and geography. You'll learn how things like distance and place may influence tourism in addition to the impact tourism may have on the physical geography of a place.
5. A Historical View of Tourism
Tourism has a very interesting history beginning thousands of years ago. In this lesson, you will explore that history and also see how the tourism industry has changed and grown from local places to the entire world!
6. Economic Impact of Tourism
In this lesson, we will discuss the various ways in which the tourism industry can impact the economy, focusing on job creation, transportation, and wildlife/nature conservation.
7. What is Tourism Management?
Tourism management is a broad field with many opportunities. In this lesson, you'll learn more about the basics of tourism management and gain some insight into a career in the industry.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Hospitality 105: Introduction to the Tourism & Travel Industry course
- Consumer Behavior of Travelers
- World Tourism Organizations
- Tourism Policy & Planning
- Tourism Economics
- Lodging Classifications
- Lodging Operations
- Food & Beverage Operations
- Transportation in Tourism Management
- Recreation Organizations in Tourism Management
- Intermediaries in Tourism Management
- Global Issues Affecting Tourism
- Tourism Marketing
- Tourism & Hospitality Trends
- Tourism & Travel Careers
- Studying for Hospitality 105