About This Chapter
Overview of Thermochemistry - Chapter Summary
Review these simple and engaging chemistry lessons to learn or refresh your knowledge of thermochemistry fundamentals. Each lesson explores a different thermochemistry topic, such as acid-base reactions, neutralization, enthalpy change and Hess's law. Our expert chemistry instructors will also break down the importance of state functions and the differences between endothermic and exothermic reactions. By the end of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Evaluate the importance of state functions in thermochemistry
- Differentiate between exothermic and endothermic reactions
- Identify the components of a combustion reaction
- Describe the process of neutralization and acid-base reactions
- Calculate a chemical reactions's standard enthalpy change
- Define Hess's law and understand why its used in thermochemistry
The chapter includes several supplemental resources to solidify your understanding of the material. You're encouraged to take the self-assessment quizzes that follow each lesson and print the accompanying lesson transcripts to study later offline. You can submit questions to our instructors if you get stuck and use your course Dashboard to jump to specific lesson topics. Finally, we've made these lessons available at any time of day or night so you can study whenever you have free time.
1. State Functions in Thermochemistry
This lesson defines state functions and explains why state functions are so useful in thermochemistry and thermodynamics. You'll also see a few examples of common state functions.
2. Endothermic and Exothermic Reactions
Explore a chemical reaction at the molecular level. Learn about exothermic and endothermic reactions, what they look like and what happens when they occur. Understand enthalpy and how you can use it to predict whether a reaction will be exothermic or endothermic.
3. Combustion Reaction: Definition & Examples
Chemical reactions occur every day. Some of them are quite useful to us. In this lesson, you will learn about chemical reactions that are known as combustion reactions.
4. Neutralization and Acid-Base Reactions
From this lesson, you will understand the neutralization process between acids and bases. Learn how a hydroxide ion from a base reacts with a hydronium ion from an acid to neutralize each other and form water. Discover what conjugate acids and bases are and what the definition of amphoteric is.
5. Standard Enthalpy of Formation: Explanation & Calculations
In this video lesson, we learn about the standard enthalpies of formation of substances. We will also learn how we can use these values as one way to calculate the standard enthalpy change of a chemical reaction.
6. Using Hess's Law to Calculate the Change in Enthalpy of a Reaction
Want to make sure you don't blow yourself up during a chemical reaction? This lesson will help you avoid this by teaching you Hess's Law. This is one way to calculate the heat transferred, or enthalpy change, of a chemical reaction.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UPSEE Paper 1: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Basics of Scientific Units & Measurement
- Understanding the Laws of Motion
- Energy, Work & Power in Physics
- Fundamentals of Linear Momentum
- Understanding Rotation of a Rigid Body
- Gravitation in Physics
- Understanding Oscillatory Motion
- Mechanics of Solids & Fluids
- Properties of Heat & Thermodynamics
- Overview of Waves
- Understanding Electrostatics
- Overview of Current Electricity
- Magnetic Effect of Current
- Magnetism in Matter
- Electromagnetic Induction Overview
- Ray Optics & Optical Instruments
- Understanding Wave Optics
- Overview of Modern Physics
- Overview of Nuclear Physics
- Electronics, Transistors & Signals
- Atomic Structure & Configuration
- Properties of Chemical Bonds
- Redox Reactions Overview
- Chemical Equilibrium & Kinetics
- Electrochemistry & Catalysts
- Colloids in Chemistry
- Colligative Properties of Solution
- Periodic Table & Electronic Configuration
- Reactions & Compounds in Organic Chemistry
- Understanding Isomerism
- Overview of Organic Compounds
- Properties of Solids in Chemistry
- Overview of Algebra Basics
- Matrices in Algebra
- Probability in Math
- Understanding Trigonometry
- Overview of Coordinate Geometry
- Principles of Calculus
- Vectors in Algebra
- Mechanics Overview
- UPSEE Paper 1 Flashcards