About This Chapter
Overview of Thermodynamics in Physics - Chapter Summary
During the process of going through these lessons, you will deepen your knowledge of thermodynamics in physics. This interactive chapter can assist you with understanding thermal expansion and heat transfer. You will also gain an understanding of the blackbody radiation theory. After reviewing the lessons, you should be ready to:
- Explain how heat differs from temperature
- Solve problems involving conduction
- Define and provide examples of latent heat
- Discuss how heat is transferred between substances or objects
- Use formulas for heat of fusion and heat of vaporization
- Recall Newton's law of cooling
- Describe how the four thermodynamic processes work
- Explain Wien's law and the Stefan-Boltzmann law
These lessons can assist you with quickly getting up to speed on thermodynamics in physics. Vocabulary words are highlighted in bold for quick reference. You can use the Help feature to submit questions to instructors if you get stuck on a topic. Each lesson includes a full written transcript that you can print and use as a study guide.
1. What is Heat? - Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, you will learn the definition of heat and find out how it differs from temperature. You will also explore practical applications of heat such as expansion, thermodynamics, heat transfer, specific heat, phase transitions, and heat engines.
2. Thermal Expansion & Heat Transfer
After watching this video, you will be able to explain how heat transfers by conduction through a slab of material, explain how the shape and size of an object varies as it expands, and solve problems involving conduction. A short quiz will follow.
3. Latent Heat: Definition, Formula & Examples
Heat is an important component of phase changes. This lesson will delve into the concept of latent heat and how it affects of the behavior of matter during phase changes.
4. Mechanisms of Heat Transfer: Conduction, Convection & Radiation
There are three main ways that heat is transferred between substances or objects. In this video lesson you'll learn about each one, and identify the differences between them.
5. Heat of Fusion & Heat of Vaporization: Definitions & Equations
When a substance changes states, like from a solid to a liquid, a lot is happening. This lesson will examine the heat of fusion and the heat of vaporization. It will also explain both formulas.
6. Newton's Law of Cooling
This lesson will introduce the reader to Newton's Law of Cooling, what it is, how it is experimentally verified, and how we can use it to calculate the cooling rate of objects in real-world examples.
7. Thermodynamic Processes: Isobaric, Isochoric, Isothermal & Adiabatic
Learn about the four thermodynamic processes and how they work: isobaric, isochoric, isothermal and adiabatic. See if you can tell the difference by taking a quiz.
8. Blackbody & Blackbody Radiation Theory
This lesson will go over the perfect absorber and emitter of radiation, something called a blackbody, as well as the concept of blackbody radiation and electromagnetic radiation.
9. What Are Wien's Law & the Stefan-Boltzmann Law?
This lesson will explain why an object glows and why it changes color with temperature as we take a look at blackbodies, electromagnetic radiation, Wien's Law, and the Stefan-Boltzmann Law.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the National Entrance Screening Test (NEST): Exam Prep course
- Understanding Cell Biology
- Tools for Studying Cell Biology
- Molecular Biology Overview
- The Cell Cycle, Mitosis & Meiosis
- Genetics & Mutations
- Ecology & Ecosystems Overview
- Natural Resources & Humans
- Biology & Technology
- Digestive System Overview
- Respiratory System Basics
- Understanding the Circulatory System
- Excretory System Basics
- Nervous System Overview
- Basics of Reproduction
- Developmental Biology
- Diversity of Animal Life
- Immunology Overview
- Plant Structure & Development
- Plant Reproduction and Growth
- Plant Growth Processes
- Systematics in Biology
- Tools & Methods of Scientific Measurement
- Stoichiometry Measurements
- Basic Stoichiometry
- Properties of Liquids & Gases in Chemistry
- Principles of Atomic Structure
- Chemical Bonding & Molecular Structure
- Thermodynamics, Energy & Reactions
- Chemical & Ionic Equilibrium
- Chemical Kinetics & Electrochemistry
- Crystals & Other Solids in Chemistry
- Properties of Solutions in Chemistry
- Surface Chemistry Overview
- Understanding Elements & Periodic Table Blocks
- Hydrogen & Hydrogen Compounds
- Coordination Chemistry & Compounds
- Understanding Metallurgy
- Organic Chemistry Compounds & Groups
- Polymer Basics
- Complex Numbers in Algebra
- Understanding Quadratic Equations
- Progressions, Series & Logarithms
- Matrices in Algebra
- Permutations & Combinations
- Probability in Math
- Fundamental Elements of Trigonometry
- Understanding Analytical Geometry
- Differential Calculus & Functions
- Integration in Calculus
- Understanding Vector Algebra
- Measurement & Experimental Design in Physics
- Principles of Mechanics
- Gravitation Principles
- Mechanics in Solids & Fluids
- Understanding Rotation of a Rigid Body
- Sound & Mechanical Waves
- Understanding Principles of Electricity
- Magnetism Overview
- Understanding Ray Optics
- Modern Physics Principles
- National Entrance Screening Test (NEST) Flashcards