About This Chapter
Overview of Thermodynamics- Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter will be beneficial to you if you would like to master physics topics specifically related to thermodynamics. Through these brief lessons, you can study information about subjects including the definition of temperature and what temperature measures. Additionally, by the end of this chapter, you should be able to:
- Identify the zeroth law of thermodynamics
- Provide examples of the first law of thermodynamics
- Explain how the internal energy of a system is measured
- Explore the properties of heat
- Distinguish the relationship between heat and temperature
- Understand how latent heat affects the behavior of matter
- Know the importance of evaporative cooling
The short and engaging video lessons cover the information in this chapter in great detail, and you can watch them anytime on a computer or mobile device. Brief multiple-choice lesson quizzes let you know how much of the material you understand and give you immediate results so you see what you still need to study further.
1. What is Temperature? - Definition & Measurement
In the most intuitive terms, temperature refers to how hot or cold something is. Learn more about temperature as a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in an object and test your knowledge with quiz questions.
2. Temperature Units: Converting Between Kelvins and Celsius
Have you ever wondered what the lowest possible temperature is? In this lesson, you will learn what temperature measures. You will also be introduced to the Kelvin scale (an absolute scale) and learn how it relates to the Celsius scale.
3. The Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics
After watching this video, you will be able to state the zeroth law of thermodynamics, what it means, and why it is important. A short quiz will follow.
4. First Law of Thermodynamics: Law of Conservation of Energy
This video describes the first law of thermodynamics. Several examples of the application of this law are discussed. The significance of the law and its practical application are discussed as well.
5. Internal Energy of a System: Definition & Measurement
We often talk about individual types of energy, but how do you measure total energy? One way is to find the internal energy of a system. Let's learn what it means and how it is measured.
6. What is Heat Energy? - Facts & Calculation
In this lesson, you will learn about heat and that heat is a form of energy. You will learn about the properties of heat and the equations that will help you calculate heat in a variety of situations.
7. Changes in Heat and Energy Diagrams
Did you know that temperature and heat are not the same thing? Did you know that the temperature of water doesn't change when it boils? This lesson describes the relationship between heat and temperature. Diagrams are used to illustrate the relationship between heat and temperature during phase changes.
8. Latent Heat: Definition, Formula & Examples
Heat is an important component of phase changes. This lesson will delve into the concept of latent heat and how it affects of the behavior of matter during phase changes.
9. What is Evaporative Cooling? - Definition & Process
This lesson is on evaporative cooling, which is how sweat keeps you cool. We will cover the definition of evaporative cooling and how the process works. We'll also examine why evaporative cooling is so important for life on Earth.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the VCE Physics: Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- Thermodynamics & Climatology
- Energy Conservation & Efficiency
- Modeling Electricity
- Circuit Electricity
- Electronic Device Use & Safety
- Electricity Generation & Transmission
- Origins of the Universe
- Subatomic Particles in the Nucleus
- Atomic Energy
- Modeling Motion
- Force & Motion in Physics
- Energy & Motion in Physics
- Laws of Motion Applied Problem Solving
- The Theory of Relativity
- Interactions of Fields in Physics
- Effects of Fields in Physics
- Applications of Fields in Physics
- Properties of Mechanical Waves
- Light as an Electromagnetic Wave
- Wave-Particle Duality & Quantum Mechanics
- Conducting a Scientific Investigation
- Scientific Investigation for the VCE Physics Exam
- VCE Physics Flashcards