About This Chapter
Overview of Vectors - Chapter Summary
Follow along with our expert physics instructors to review fundamental vector topics in the study of physics. Each lesson breaks down vector-related concepts in a simple and easy-to-understand manner. You can expect to study basic vector types and operations. Use the interactive lesson quizzes to help you practice solving vector problems on your own. Study the chapter at any time that fits your schedule, and feel free to reach out to our instructors if you have any questions about the material. When you're finished with the chapter, you should be able to:
- Recognize different types of vectors
- Use the geometric approach for vector addition and subtraction
- Apply various components to perform vector operations
- Identify standard basis vectors
- Calculate the resultants of vectors
- Add and subtract vectors
1. What Is a Vector? - Definition & Types
After watching this lesson, you will be able to explain what vectors are in physics, give some examples of vectors and have a basic idea of how they can be manipulated mathematically. A short quiz will follow.
2. Vector Addition (Geometric Approach): Explanation & Examples
After watching this video, you will be able to explain why we might need to add two vectors and, given magnitudes and directions, add two vectors using geometric methods. A short quiz will follow.
3. Vector Subtraction (Geometric): Formula & Examples
After watching this lesson, you will be able to subtract vectors geometrically and give examples of how that process might be used in physics. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Physics 101: Intro to Physics course
- Intro to Physics
- Overview of Kinematics
- Overview of Forces
- Overview of Gravity
- Basics of Newton's First Law
- Basics of Newton's Second Law
- Basics of Newton's Third Law
- Energy and Work in Physics
- Overview of Linear Momentum in Physics
- Basics of Rotational Motion
- Waves in Physics
- Sound & Light in Physics
- Basics of Optics
- Fluid Dynamics in Physics
- Basics of Thermodynamics in Physics
- Overview of Electrostatics
- Overview of Magnetism
- Basics of Nuclear Physics
- Studying for Physics 101