About This Chapter
Overview of Vertebrates - Chapter Summary
In this chapter on vertebrates, brief video lessons review topics like the features of reptiles and how birds fly. You will also explore the defining features of the Osteichthyes class of fish. After completing the chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- List animals included in the vertebrates category
- Recall characteristics of fish in the Osteichthyes class
- Describe different types of amphibians
- Explain why reptiles are important
- Discuss the ecological and economical significance of birds
- Describe how scientists group mammals
A brief quiz is available for each lesson. The quizzes link back to specific topics in the video, so if you get a question wrong you can quickly review that topic. If you have any questions about the material, you can contact our expert instructors.
1. Vertebrates: Definition, Features & Classification
Vertebrates are an interesting collection of animals, including humans, that have evolved over millions of years. Birds, reptiles, amphibians, mammals and even fish are included in the vertebrate category. Find out more here!
2. Class Osteichthyes: Characteristics & Examples
In this lesson, we take a look at a specific class of fish called Osteichthyes. We'll cover the characteristics of its members, see some examples, and find out what makes the two subclasses of this group of fish so unique.
3. Amphibians: Traits, Types & Roles
Amphibians. Does the word conjure up images of slimy frogs and salamanders? Or perhaps a case of warts after handling a toad? Amphibians are a fascinating group of animals that we don't see very often. Find out more in this lesson.
4. Reptiles: Features, Types & Importance
Reptiles are more than just snakes. In this lesson, we'll explore the reptile class, discover what other animals are reptiles, what makes them related, and why they are important.
5. Birds: Traits, Types & Importance
Have you ever wanted to be a bird? Or thought about flying like a bird? In this lesson, we're going to learn about why birds are birds, how they fly, and why they're important to us both ecologically and economically.
6. Mammals: Traits, Behavior & Grouping
Ever wondered what the largest mammal on Earth was? Or what traits connect mammals together? In this lesson, you will discover the basic traits of mammals, some of their behavior, and how they are grouped by scientists. Read on!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISC Biology: Study Guide & Syllabus course
- Microscopes Basics & Techniques
- Classification & Diversity of Life
- Kingdom Monera, Protista & Fungi
- Classification in the Animal Kingdom
- Classification in the Plant Kingdom
- Plant Physiology: Growth & Nutrition
- Plant Tissue: Structure & Function
- Absorption & Movement of Water in Plants
- Plant Morphology
- Reproduction of Flowering Plants
- Mechanisms of Photosynthesis
- Mechanisms of Cellular Respiration
- Cell Structure Overview
- Cell Membrane Basics
- DNA Basics
- Recombinant DNA & Its Applications
- Overview of Basic Genetic Principles
- Chromosomes & Genetics
- The Cell Cycle, Mitosis & Meiosis
- Overview of Biomolecules
- Enzyme Mechanisms
- Animal Tissue: Structure & Function
- Nutrition & the Digestive System
- Human Respiratory System Overview
- Basics of the Circulatory System
- Excretory System Overview
- Endocrine System Overview
- Basics of the Nervous System
- The Musculoskeletal System
- Human Reproduction & Development Basics
- Human Disease & Defense
- Origin & Evolution of Life
- Overview of Ecosystems
- Community Ecology Overview
- Overview of Biodiversity
- Environmental Biology Overview
- Biological Applications in Agriculture
- ISC Biology Flashcards