About This Chapter
Overview of Waste & Waste Management - Chapter Summary
For an overview of waste and waste management methods, check out this series of engaging environmental science lessons. Our expert instructors will help you review the different types of waste, such as municipal, non-municipal and hazardous waste, and evaluate the benefits of various waste management and disposal methods. By the end of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Differentiate between municipal and non-municipal waste
- Explain the types, process and benefits of composting
- Understand the dangers of hazardous waste
- Evaluate current issues related to mass burn incinerators
- Identify and explain the 3 Rs of solid waste reduction
As you complete each lesson, try the accompanying self-assessment quiz to gauge your understanding of the lesson's most important terms and concepts. A final chapter exam is also included. To further enhance your studying experience, we've made it possible to submit questions to our instructors and print lesson transcripts. Finally, the chapter is available to access at any time of day and on any Internet-connected device so you can study whenever and wherever it's convenient.
1. Types of Solid Waste: Municipal Vs. Non-Municipal
Waste comes in many different forms. This lesson explores municipal and non-municipal waste, the two main types of solid waste. We'll also delve into who creates waste and the amount of waste disposed of each year.
2. What Is Composting? - Definition and Examples
In this lesson, we will explore the unique method of waste disposal where items are encouraged to rot. We will investigate the composting process, the benefits of composting, and examples of different types.
3. What Is Hazardous Waste? - Definition and Types
Not all waste is something to throw in the trash and forget about. In this lesson, we will explore hazardous waste and what makes it dangerous. We will also investigate disposal methods and types of hazardous waste.
4. Mass Burn Incinerators: Definition and Issues
In this lesson, we will explore the process of using extreme heat to dispose of waste. We will also investigate the issues associated with this method of waste management.
5. The 3 Rs of Reducing Solid Waste: Reuse, Reduce & Recycle
Reduce, reuse, recycle! In this lesson, we will explore the three Rs of reducing solid waste. We will also investigate examples of each of the three Rs, and how people can do their part to help reduce solid waste.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ICSE Environmental Science: Study Guide & Syllabus course
- Environmental Science Overview
- Living Things in Ecosystems
- Ecosystem Cycles & Processes
- Kinds of Ecosystems
- Water Resources & Pollution
- Atmosphere, Climate & Air Pollution
- Soil & Land Pollution & Conservation
- Population Growth & Its Impact on Poverty
- Sustainable Agriculture
- Conservation Biology & Protecting Biodiversity
- Energy Use
- Business, Trade & The Environment
- Global Sustainability Efforts
- ICSE Environmental Science Flashcards