About This Chapter
Overview of Waves & Sound - Chapter Summary
Amplify your understanding of waves with our knowledgeable instructors. They will guide you through the different types of energy waves, as well as, the parts of waves and how they change. You will learn how modifications in a wave affect the resulting energy transfer. You will also study the properties of sound waves, including how pitch and volume are connected to transverse wave patterns.
The following is a list of concept-related skills you should have by the end of the chapter. You should be able to:
- Explain the relationships between vibrations, waves, motion, and energy
- Identify and describe the parameters of a wave
- Differentiate between transverse and longitudinal waves
- Describe sound and model changes to a sound wave
- Demonstrate changes in the speed, pitch, and volume of sound
The physics models and concepts covered in this chapter are presented to you through short, engaging videos and our professional instructors will guide you through each lesson. To review main points or examples, use the Timeline feature of the player to jump to specific tagged sections of the video. To enhance your learning, all lessons are accompanied by a self-assessment quiz and a lesson transcript. Use these features to review your understanding and determine your level of mastery of this physics topic.
1. Vibrations and Waves: Energy and Motion
What is a wave? What causes waves, and how do they travel from one place to another? This lesson will guide you through the basics of waves. We'll discuss their origins from vibrations and investigate how they carry energy through a medium.
2. Wave Parameters: Wavelength, Amplitude, Period, Frequency & Speed
How do we measure and describe waves? How do waves differ based upon their shapes? This lesson will guide you through the five wave parameters - period, frequency, amplitude, wavelength, and speed - that we use to characterize waves.
3. Transverse & Longitudinal Waves: Definition & Examples
What comes to mind when you think of a wave? Chances are your mental image takes the form of a transverse wave. But, longitudinal waves are just as important, and understanding the difference is vital to learning about waves. In this lesson, explore both types of waves and the unique characteristics of each.
4. What is Sound? - Definition and Factors Affecting the Speed of Sound
Explore the minute workings of sound waves and how they travel. We'll discuss the main factors that affect the speed of sound waves, and we'll try some mathematical problems involving the wave equation.
5. Pitch and Volume in Sound Waves
What do pitch and volume mean when talking about sound waves? Further your understanding of sound waves in this lesson as we explore the more familiar aspects of sound. We'll learn about pitch and volume and how they relate to sound wave parameters.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Physics (019): Practice & Study Guide course
- Process of Scientific Inquiry
- Scientific Measurement Basics
- Safety Procedures and Hazards in Scientific Research
- History & Nature of Scientific Study
- Math for Physics
- Overview of Kinematics & Graphs
- Kinematics & Graphs
- Laws of Motion in Physics
- Forces in Physics
- Laws of Gravitation
- Linear Momentum in Physics
- Equilibrium and Elasticity
- Rotational Motion
- Oscillation & Simple Harmonic Motion
- Electrostatics in Physics
- Overview of Circuits
- Overview of Magnetism in Physics
- Overview of the Physics of Light
- Wave Optics in Physics
- Work & Energy in Physics
- Fluids in Physics
- Thermodynamics in Physics Overview
- Modern & Nuclear Physics
- MTTC Physics Flashcards