About This Chapter
Overview of Workplace Pay & Benefits - Chapter Summary
Our subject-matter experts have prepared these lessons for you as an overview of workplace pay and benefits. Take a look at the definition of unemployment compensation and labor relations. Get to know the history and purpose of the National Labor Relations Board. The chapter includes such lesson topics as:
- An explanation of employee compensation
- Compensation strategies: non-financial, indirect and direct
- Benefits and purpose of unemployment compensation
- Purpose of collective bargaining
This chapter consists of short, engaging text and video lessons. Videos are 5-10 minutes average run time and each is hosted by our expert instructors. We provide a quiz for self-assessment, and if you want to take another look at one of the videos, you can use our timeline tool to go right to the section you need to replay.
1. Understanding Employee Compensation
Compensation is pay for services during the course of employment. This can be direct (or monetary) compensation and indirect (or non-monetary) compensation in the form of benefits provided to the employee.
2. Direct, Indirect & Non-Financial Compensation Strategies
Most organizations can't get people to work for free. In this lesson, you'll learn how businesses and other organizations can use direct, indirect and non-financial compensation strategies to acquire and keep talent. A short quiz follows.
3. Workers' Compensation: Overview and Description
Sometimes, work can be a dangerous proposition and accidents happen even in the safest of jobs. The workers' compensation system is designed to address these situations. In this lesson, you'll learn about some key aspects of the system.
4. Unemployment Compensation: Definition, Benefits & Purpose
Unemployment compensation is a type of temporary benefit paid to people who have lost their jobs. This lesson explains unemployment compensation, including its purpose and benefits.
5. National Labor Relations Board: History and Purpose
Unions can play an important role in the employer-employee relationship. In this lesson, you'll learn about the National Labor Relations Board and how it makes sure both sides play by the rules. A short quiz follows.
6. Labor Relations: Definition & Process
In this lesson, we'll define labor relations. You'll also learn the process of establishing a labor relationship, which includes forming a bargaining unit, negotiating contracts and administrating contract agreements.
7. Function of Collective Bargaining
The function of collective bargaining is to negotiate work-related issues. Bargaining or negotiating takes place between the employer and the employees. The employees are represented by a collective bargaining unit.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CM Planning & Organizing Exam Study Guide - Certified Manager course
- Strategic Planning in Business
- Business Missions & Goals
- Building Strategy in Business
- Value Chain Management
- Improving Customer Relations
- Improving Quality in Business
- Improving Efficiency in Business
- Improving Innovation in Business
- Project Management Definition & Skills
- Managing Structure & Culture in Business
- Building Teams & Work Groups
- Human Resources & Hiring
- Training & Assessment in an Organization
- Diversity at Work
- Coaching & Feedback in the Workplace
- Career Business Networking
- Mentoring at Work
- Holding Productive Meetings
- CM Planning & Organizing Exam Study Guide - Certified Manager Flashcards