About This Chapter
Overview of Writing Types - Chapter Summary
This chapter makes it easy for you to understand the unique types of writing we encounter every day. Explore fun lessons to gain greater insight into information writing, narrative nonfiction and more. Review definitions for clear descriptions of the writing types, and access examples to increase your understanding. Once you've completed this chapter, you will be ready to:
- Define and identify types and characteristics of narrative writing
- Describe types and uses of narrative poems
- Explain how narrative nonfiction differs from other types of nonfiction
- Identify major components of expository writing
- Share the meaning and uses of information and descriptive writing
- List and describe components of persuasive text
Each lesson in this chapter is accompanied by a short quiz you can use to gauge your comprehension of the writing types. As with the lessons, these quizzes are accessible anytime from your computer or mobile devices. Use them to reinforce lesson concepts and feel confident that you understand this subject area. A chapter exam is also available to test your knowledge of the lessons.
1. What is Narrative Writing? - Definition, Types, Characteristics & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn what makes a piece of writing a narrative. Examples are also given to illustrate the specific types of narrative writing.
2. Narrative Poems: Types & Examples
Some of history's most famous heroes have been immortalized in narrative poetry: King Arthur, Odysseus, and even Jed Clampett. From Homer to Chaucer to Poe to The Beverly Hillbillies, narrative poetry has been used to preserve some of the world's greatest stories.
3. Narrative Nonfiction: Definition & Books
A lot of the nonfiction you've read may not have been for pleasure, so you might not think that factual works can be any fun. You can dispel that myth in this lesson, where you'll be introduced to the entertaining yet informative genre of narrative nonfiction and get to see a few popular examples.
4. What is Expository Writing? - Definition & Examples
This lesson will assist you in identifying and understanding the major components of expository writing. Learn more about expository writing and see some common examples. Then test your knowledge with a quiz.
5. Information Writing: Definition, Style & Examples
Most of us encounter examples of information writing every day. Learn what information writing is, and see some examples to help ground your understanding of this writing genre.
6. Descriptive Writing: Definition, Techniques & Examples
This lesson will assist you in identifying descriptive writing found in literature and ways you can apply it in your own writing. Learn more about literary style and test your understanding through a quiz.
7. What is Persuasive Text? - Definition & Examples
This lesson will teach you how to identify all components of persuasive writing. You'll learn more about informational texts and test your understanding through a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Elementary Education - Multiple Subjects (5001): Practice & Study Guide course
- Overview of Phonics Education
- Fluency in Education
- Speaking & Listening
- Words, Phrases & Language
- Elements of Literary Texts
- Informational Texts & Text Complexity
- Characteristics of Effective Writing
- Writing Development & Digital Tools
- English Grammar & Grammatical Errors
- Writing Research & Citation
- World Exploration & Colonization
- Road to the American Revolution
- The American Revolution
- Major Events in U.S. History
- 20th Century Developments in the U.S.
- Overview of Government Systems
- Basic Economics
- Historical Documents of the United States
- Principles of American Democracy
- Basics of Human Geography
- Major Contributions of Classical Societies
- 20th Century Developments in World History
- The History of the European Union
- Interpreting History from Different Perspectives
- Place Value System
- Rational Number Operations & Properties
- Representing Rational Numbers & Operations
- Proportional Relationships & Percents
- Number Theory & Mathematical Reasoning
- Introduction to Algebraic Expressions
- Solving Linear Equations & Inequalities
- Mathematical Patterns
- Fundamentals of Geometric Figures & Angles
- 2D & 3D Shapes
- Finding Area, Perimeter, Surface Area & Volume
- Coordinate Plane
- Solving Real World Math Problems
- Statistical Concepts
- Measurement and the Metric System
- Data Display Methods
- Circle, Bar & Line Graphs
- Probability Concepts
- Scientific Thinking & Research
- Structure of Matter
- Basics of Forces & Motion
- Work, Power & Energy
- Interactions of Energy & Matter
- Overview of Geomorphology
- Earth & the Solar System
- Earth Patterns, Cycles & Change
- Basic Components of Living Things
- Change in Living Things
- Biodiversity, Adaptation & Classification
- Personal Nutrition & Health Problems
- Praxis Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects Flashcards