About This Chapter
Overview & Principles of Conversation Management - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Conversation management is an important aspect of communication whether it is occurring between two individuals or a larger group of people. In this chapter, you can watch video lessons that examine the principles of conversation management to learn how to effectively initiate and maintain a conversation, determine how much to disclose when conversing with others and identify problems that can occur in conversations. You can also learn more about organizational communication.
The lessons are designed to offer a detailed look at the principles of conversation management, while presenting the materials in an entertaining fashion. In addition to watching the videos, you can access video transcripts to strengthen your comprehension of the materials. Self-assessment quizzes are also available to help gauge how well you understand the lessons. After completing this chapter, you should be able to identify:
- The five-stage model of conversation
- Principles of conversation management
- Influences and rewards of conversational disclosure
- The role of organizational communication
- Various conversational problems
|The Five-Stage Model of Conversation||Learn about the five stage model of conversation that includes opening, feedforward, substance/focus, feedback and closing.|
|Principles of Conversation Management||Analyze the principles of conversation management that include initiation of conversation, maintaining the conversation, closing the conversation and how to deal with unsatisfying conversational partners.|
|Conversational Disclosure: Influence, Rewards, Danger & Guidelines||Examine the influences, rewards, dangers and guidelines of conversational disclosure.|
|Organizational Communication||Discover the role of organizational communication and define terms like downward, upward and horizontal communication. Also, take a closer look at the formal network and informal channel.|
|Understanding Conversational Problems||Study conversational problems like preventing and repairing.|
1. The Five-Stage Model of Conversation
From the simplest discussion among friends to the most formal summits between politicians, every conversation goes through certain stages. In this lesson, we will look at the five basic stages of conversations and how they apply in real life.
2. Conversational Disclosure: Influence, Rewards, Danger & Guidelines
In this lesson, you will explore the concept of self-disclosure in communication and discover how it works and why it's important. Then test your understanding with a brief quiz.
3. Understanding Conversational Problems
In this lesson, you will explore some of the common issues that arise within conversations and discover how they negatively impact communication. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
4. Principles of Conversation Management
Like any skill, the art of conversation takes practice. In order to help hone our dialoguing skills, this lesson offers some principles for conversation management. It specifically highlights some ways to start, maintain and even end conversations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the Communications 102: Interpersonal Communication course
- Overview of Interpersonal Communication
- The Impact of Culture on Interpersonal Communication
- Perception & Self-Awareness in Interpersonal Communication
- The Importance of Effective Listening
- Understanding Verbal & Nonverbal Communication
- Relationship Theory in Interpersonal Communication
- Communication in Relationships
- The Process of Conflict Management
- The Role of Power in Interpersonal Relationships
- Emotions & Emotional Expression
- Communication Between Family & Friends
- Interpersonal Communication in Love & Relationships
- Interpersonal Communication in the Workplace
- Computer-Mediated Communication
- Studying for Communications 102