About This Chapter
Paragraph Structure Overview - Chapter Summary
If you need to review the basic structure of paragraphs, this chapter is for you. Containing bite-sized video lessons, this chapter breaks down the fundamentals of paragraph rules. Our expert English composition instructors also provide useful strategies for writing and using transition sentences between paragraphs. By the end of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Define the components of paragraphs
- Recognize paragraph rules
- Explain how many sentences make up a paragraph
- Use transition sentences
Following each lesson is a short quiz that lets you see how well you understand the information. Take the chapter exam to further reinforce your knowledge, and submit questions to our subject-matter experts if you need any extra help with the material. The chapter is available online at any time of day or night, which makes it easy to study paragraph structure topics whenever it's convenient for you.
1. Paragraphs: Definition & Rules
Almost all forms of writing are structured into paragraphs. Watch this video lesson to learn not only the definition and purpose of a paragraph but its proper structure and how to make a paragraph effective.
2. How Many Sentences Are in a Paragraph?
A good paragraph presents an idea that the reader can understand. In this lesson, you'll learn about the characteristics of a good paragraph and just how many sentences it takes to make one.
3. How to Write and Use Transition Sentences
Like a road map, transitions guide readers through your essay. This lesson examines the way writers transition between sentences, within paragraphs and between paragraphs to make for a smooth reading experience.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Essay Writing: Help & Tutorial course
- Introduction to Essay Writing: Help & Tutorial
- Prewriting: Help & Tutorial
- Structuring Your Essay: Help & Tutorial
- Writing Your Essay: Help & Tutorial
- Types of Essays: Help & Tutorial
- Revising Your Essay: Help & Tutorial
- Citing Your Sources: Help & Tutorial
- Writing an Extended Response: Help & Tutorial
- Reading and Understanding Essays: Help & Tutorial
- Sentence Types
- Rhetorical Modes