About This Chapter
Who's it for?
This unit of our High School Precalculus Homeschool course will benefit any student who is trying to learn to solve parametric equations. There is no faster or easier way to learn about mathematics. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who require an efficient, self-paced course of study to learn to graph functions in polar coordinates and process complex numbers in polar form.
- Homeschool parents looking to spend less time preparing lessons and more time teaching.
- Homeschool parents who need a mathematics curriculum that appeals to multiple learning types (visual or auditory).
- Gifted students and students with learning differences.
How it works:
- Students watch a short, fun video lesson that covers a specific unit topic.
- Students and parents can refer to the video transcripts to reinforce learning.
- Short quizzes and a Parametric Equations unit exam confirm understanding or identify any topics that require review.
Parametric Equations Unit Objectives:
- Find parametric equations for a graph.
- Discover how to convert between rectangular and parametric forms.
- Use De Moivre's Theorem to write complex numbers.
- Learn to use parametric equations in applied contexts.
1. Graphing Functions in Polar Coordinates: Process & Examples
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to convert any Cartesian coordinate point into a polar coordinate point. You will also learn how to plot these points.
2. Complex Numbers in Polar Form: Process & Examples
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to convert complex numbers from rectangular form to polar form easily by following the formulas you will see here. You will also learn how to find the power of a complex number.
3. Evaluating Parametric Equations: Process & Examples
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to evaluate a parametric equation for any given parameter. Learn the steps involved and what the complete answer looks like.
4. Converting Between Parametric & Rectangular Forms
There are all kinds of ways of writing equations. Learn about parametric equations in this video lesson. Learn how you can convert between parametric equations and their equivalent rectangular equations.
5. Graphs of Parametric Equations
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can go about graphing parametric equations. Learn the simplest way to graph parametric equations by eliminating the parameter.
6. Parametric Equations in Applied Contexts
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use parametric equations to help you solve real world problems such as the path of a moving object. Learn how to form parametric equations to model the real world.
7. Conic Sections in Polar & Parametric Forms
After watching this video lesson, you will learn to distinguish between the standard form equations for conic sections, the parametric form equations and the polar form equations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Precalculus: Homeschool Curriculum course
- Graphing Linear Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Solving & Graphing Inequalities: Homeschool Curriculum
- Absolute Value Expressions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Graphing Complex Numbers: Homeschool Curriculum
- Solving Linear Systems: Homeschool Curriculum
- Linear Models: Homeschool Curriculum
- Quadratics: Homeschool Curriculum
- Quadratic Functions & Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Geometry Basics: Homeschool Curriculum
- Functions for Precalculus: Homeschool Curriculum
- Using Function Operations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Recognizing Graph Symmetry: Homeschool Curriculum
- How to Graph Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Rate of Change: Homeschool Curriculum
- Polynomial Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Higher-Degree Polynomials: Homeschool Curriculum
- Difference Quotients in Precalculus: Homeschool Curriculum
- Working with Rational Expressions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Evaluating Logarithmic Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Functions in Trigonometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Using Trigonometric Graphs: Homeschool Curriculum
- Trigonometric Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Basic Trigonometric Identities: Homeschool Curriculum
- Laws of Sine & Cosine: Homeschool Curriculum
- Graphing Piecewise Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Vectors & Matrices: Homeschool Curriculum
- Mathematical Sequences: Homeschool Curriculum
- Identifying Conic Sections: Homeschool Curriculum
- Continuity: Homeschool Curriculum
- Limits in Precalculus: Homeschool Curriculum
- Groups & Sets in Algebra: Homeschool Curriculum