About This Chapter
PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Analyzing a Text - Chapter Summary
Digging into the meat of a passage of text takes time, but the rewards gained from the analysis prove beneficial when it comes to writing about it. This set of video lessons in the PARCC review course shows you the best ways to find meanings and context in a selection of text, and it prepares you for the reading questions you'll encounter during the PARCC ELA - Grade 10 exam. Studying the lessons can help you with:
- Inferring intended meaning
- Identifying the central idea and recognizing theme hierarchy
- Understanding the concept of a summary
- Connecting ideas in text
- Using context to determine meaning
- Applying context
- Providing examples of supporting details
Should you have any trouble understanding the ideas behind analyzing text, the team of English experts at Study.com can answer any questions you have when you use the dashboard feature to contact them. When you are finished with this chapter, you can take a set of self-assessment quizzes to see how ready you are for the exam.
PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Analyzing a Text Chapter Objectives
The PARCC tests are designed to establish new standards of education for many different grade levels. Questions regarding textual analysis will be found on the ELA exam, where students are scored in varying formats based on their accurate understanding of the text.
1. What is Inference? - How to Infer Intended Meaning
In this lesson, we will define the terms inference and intended meaning. We will then discuss what steps to take when making inferences in literature.
2. How to Find the Theme or Central Idea
In this lesson, you'll learn how to identify the theme or central idea of a text, and you'll get some specific examples of themes from famous stories.
3. What is a Summary? - Definition & Concept
In this lesson you'll learn what summaries are and how they differ from other forms of condensed writing. You'll also be shown an example of a summary, and what should and should not be included in a summary paragraph.
4. How Ideas Are Connected in a Text
The lesson will focus on describing strategies used for ensuring coherence and cohesion in a historical text. It will help readers to learn how both are used, while using examples from an American History and World History text.
5. What is Context? - Definition & Application
In writing, context is the information surrounding the information. Without context, information can be misinterpreted; with context, information can be understood.
6. How to Use Context to Determine the Meaning of Words
With diligence and intrepid ingenuity, you can use context to ascertain the purport of a word. In other words, in this lesson, we'll find out how to use context to figure out what words mean.
7. Supporting Details: Definition & Examples
Find out what supporting details are and their role in essay writing. Learn the different ways to include supporting details, then take a quiz to test your new skills.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Test Prep & Practice course
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Evaluating Arguments
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Narrative Structure & Techniques
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Integrating Knowledge from Sources
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Sample Informational Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Sample Literary Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Accounts in Different Mediums
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Comparing Mediums in Literature
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Reflective & Research Writing
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Organizing Ideas in an Essay
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Types of Essays
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Writing Successful Essays
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Language Facility
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Writing & Reading for Comprehension
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Grammar
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Punctuation
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Writing Mechanics
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Fundamentals of Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Critical Thinking & Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Audience in Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Speech Types & Considerations
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Speech Development
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Delivering a Speech
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Designing & Using Visual Aids for Speeches
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Listening Skills for Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10 Flashcards