About This Chapter
PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Audience in Public Speaking - Chapter Summary
One of the most important elements in public speaking is knowing the audience and how to gauge their reactions. In this collection of video lessons for the PARCC ELA course, you will be looking at the best strategies for audience analysis and how they will appear on the PARCC exam. The topics involved with public speaking and audience in this chapter are as follows:
- Being an audience-centered speaker
- Focusing on listener needs
- Informal and formal audience analysis
- Research and observation in audience analysis
These video lessons have all been designed to view not just on your computer but your mobile devices as well, so you can easily sneak in a study session on the go whenever you have the chance. When you have completed all of them, the self-assessment quizzes provided with the lessons make great practice for the upcoming PARCC exam.
1. Be an Audience-Centered Speaker: Focusing on Listeners' Needs
The best way a speaker can ensure that his message is communicated effectively is to consider his audience and their biases and beliefs. Getting to know and understand the audience will help to create a speech that carries meaning.
2. Informal and Formal Methods of Audience Analysis
There are three formal concentrations a good public speaker needs to focus on when conducting a formal audience analysis. There are also times when an informal analysis will do. Learn more about both types in this lesson.
3. Gathering Information for Audience Analysis: Research & Observation
An audience analysis is an essential step in writing and presenting a speech that is meaningful to an audience. The speaker will look at several traits, characteristics and conditions of his audience to best suit the speech to their needs.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Test Prep & Practice course
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Analyzing a Text
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Evaluating Arguments
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Narrative Structure & Techniques
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Integrating Knowledge from Sources
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Sample Informational Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Sample Literary Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Accounts in Different Mediums
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Comparing Mediums in Literature
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Reflective & Research Writing
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Organizing Ideas in an Essay
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Types of Essays
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Writing Successful Essays
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Language Facility
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Writing & Reading for Comprehension
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Grammar
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Punctuation
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Writing Mechanics
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Fundamentals of Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Critical Thinking & Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Speech Types & Considerations
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Speech Development
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Delivering a Speech
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Designing & Using Visual Aids for Speeches
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Listening Skills for Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10 Flashcards