About This Chapter
PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Critical Thinking & Public Speaking - Chapter Summary
Adding critical thinking elements into a speech can turn a normal speaking event into something much more engaging. This chapter's collection of lessons for the PARCC ELA Grade 10 review course shows you what these concepts are as you prepare yourself to take the PARCC ELA exam. The critical thinking topics you will be studying are as follows:
- The contrasts between deductive and inductive reasoning
- The selective exposure theory
- The use of pathos, ethos and logos in public speaking
These lessons are all equipped with a timeline feature that allows you to become the director and skip back and forth between topics however you like without having to worry about missing anything. If you have any extra questions about the information you see in the lessons, the English experts at Study.com are available to contact directly through the lesson's dashboard.
1. The Differences Between Inductive and Deductive Reasoning
Inductive and deductive reasoning are often confused. This lesson introduces the concept of reasoning and gives you tips and tricks to keeping inductive and deductive reasoning straight.
2. Selective Exposure Theory & Public Speaking
Selective exposure theory has a great impact on you as a speaker and as a listener. This lesson will help you understand selective exposure theory and how to deal with it in public speaking.
3. Ethos, Pathos, and Logos: Importance in Public Speaking
Ethos, pathos, and logos are the foundation modes of persuasion, also known as appeals. In this lesson, you will learn about the different modes of persuasion and how to incorporate them into your speech.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Test Prep & Practice course
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Analyzing a Text
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Evaluating Arguments
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Narrative Structure & Techniques
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Integrating Knowledge from Sources
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Sample Informational Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Sample Literary Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Accounts in Different Mediums
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Comparing Mediums in Literature
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Reflective & Research Writing
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Organizing Ideas in an Essay
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Types of Essays
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Writing Successful Essays
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Language Facility
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Writing & Reading for Comprehension
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Grammar
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Punctuation
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Writing Mechanics
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Fundamentals of Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Audience in Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Speech Types & Considerations
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Speech Development
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Delivering a Speech
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Designing & Using Visual Aids for Speeches
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Listening Skills for Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10 Flashcards