About This Chapter
PARCC ELA- Grade 10: Delivering a Speech - Chapter Summary
The comprehensive video lessons found in this chapter will help you get ready for questions about public speaking for the PARCC ELA - Grade 10 assessment. By the end of the chapter, you will have learned about the following:
- Speech rehearsal
- Types and styles of speeches
- Nonverbal communication
- Diction, pronunciation, articulation and dialect
- Vivid language
- Self-awareness and adaptation
- Cross-cultural communication and communicating in different languages
- Adapting to the audience and inclusive language
- Tips for managing anxiety about public speaking
Our expert instructors have complied the lessons in this chapter in a way that will help you learn the important skills and techniques needed to deliver an effective speech. Each video lesson is about 5-10 minutes long and can be watched numerous times until you feel confident moving forward. You can use the multiple-choice quizzes to get immediate feedback on what you have learned. These quizzes reveal to you what you have mastered and what you still need to work on. You can then use the video tags to jump to the areas of the lesson you are struggling with.
1. Speech Rehearsal: Importance and Process
Speech rehearsal is as important as writing the speech itself. It starts with a pre-rehearsal and then follows several steps. By following the process, you will have a winning speech.
2. Four Types of Speech Delivery: Impromptu, Extemporaneous, Manuscript & Memorized
There are four ways in which a speaker can deliver his or her information. Once can speak from his head, commit every word to memory, read from a script or use a blended approach.
3. The Style of a Speech: Speaker, Audience & Purpose
When writing a speech, a writer should consider the speaker, audience and purpose of the speech. Each factor influences the overall style of the speech.
4. The Role of Nonverbal Communication During Speech Delivery
When delivering a speech, your body movements tell almost as much about your message as your actual speech. Eye contact, body orientation, posture, facial expressions and gestures play into how your audience perceives your message.
5. How Diction Influences the Style of a Speech
Audience understanding has much to do with the speech writer's word choice. Diction involves an accurate, appropriate and understandable selection of words to better convey the meaning of a speech.
6. Inclusive Language in Public Speaking: Respecting Diversity
Speechwriters must consider diversity when writing their speeches. A way to avoid offending people is to use inclusive language, or language that the audience is familiar with and understands.
7. Using Vivid Language in Public Speaking
A speech should not bore the audience. To captivate your audience and command their attention, the use of vivid language is necessary. This includes using clarity, rhythm and vividness to get your audience to pay attention to your speech.
8. Considering Pronunciation, Articulation, and Dialect in Public Speaking
The speaker's culture and habits often have much to do with the vocal traits of a speech. Thus, pronunciation, articulation and dialect are three very personal aspects of speech delivery.
9. Being a Self-Aware and Adaptive Communicator
To be an excellent speaker in the business world, you have to be self-aware and an adaptive communicator. This lesson will help you learn how to do that.
10. Cross-Cultural Communication: Definition, Strategies & Examples
Cross-cultural communication is imperative for companies that have a diverse workforce and participate in the global economy. It is important for employees to understand the factors that are part of an effective, diverse workforce.
11. Communicating in Different Languages: Dealing with Interpreters and Jargon
Communicating effectively in different languages as part of a business environment revolves around eliminating jargon and utilizing interpreters for message delivery.
12. Adapting to Your Audience During and After Your Speech
Preparing for your speech is only one way in which a speaker can ensure audience adaptation. You need a keen eye for non-verbal cues during and after the speech to determine whether your audience is paying attention.
13. Managing Anxiety About Public Speaking: Strategies & Tips
Speaking before a crowd can provoke anxiety even in the most seasoned speakers. There are several tips and strategies a public speaker can employ to reduce the level of stress associated with public speaking.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Test Prep & Practice course
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Analyzing a Text
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Evaluating Arguments
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Narrative Structure & Techniques
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Integrating Knowledge from Sources
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Sample Informational Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Sample Literary Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Accounts in Different Mediums
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Comparing Mediums in Literature
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Reflective & Research Writing
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Organizing Ideas in an Essay
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Types of Essays
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Writing Successful Essays
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Language Facility
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Writing & Reading for Comprehension
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Grammar
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Punctuation
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Writing Mechanics
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Fundamentals of Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Critical Thinking & Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Audience in Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Speech Types & Considerations
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Speech Development
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Designing & Using Visual Aids for Speeches
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Listening Skills for Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10 Flashcards