About This Chapter
PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Fundamentals of Public Speaking - Chapter Summary
As you prepare to take the PARCC ELA - Grade 10 test, it's important that you feel confident in your ability to address what you'll see on the exam. This chapter gives you an in-depth look at the fundamentals of public speaking to ensure you're ready to:
- Define public speaking and explain why it's needed
- Share the ways public speaking differs from casual conversation
- Discuss public speaking as a communication process
- Provide the guidelines and issues associated with being an ethical speaker
By taking advantage of the resources in this chapter, you can avoid the time-consuming process of compiling days or weeks of materials. Kick back, relax, and enjoy the lessons, which are presented by subject matter experts who have a wealth of information about public speaking.
PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Fundamentals of Public Speaking Chapter Objectives
Students take the Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC) Grade 10 test as a way to assure schools, teachers, parents and themselves that they are on track toward success in college and work. The partnership consists of a group of states that have developed assessments for grades K-12 in math and English language arts (ELA). The test consists of multiple-choice and written-response questions.
Simplify the process of studying for the exam by reviewing the lessons in this chapter. You can access lessons as videos, or review full lesson transcripts with helpful vocabulary words that can deepen your understanding of the subject area. Self-assessment quizzes are available to gauge how well you comprehend the information. Any questions you have about lesson topics can be submitted to our experts.
1. What Is Public Speaking and Why Do I Need to Do It?
Public speaking is the process of communicating information to an audience. It is usually done before a large audience, like in school, the workplace and even in our personal lives. The benefits of knowing how to communicate to an audience include sharpening critical thinking and verbal/non-verbal communication skills.
2. How Public Speaking Differs from Casual Conversation
Public speaking and casual conversation are similar in that they are done to inform, persuade or entertain an audience. They are different in that public speaking is more structured, is spoken in a formal language and has a formal delivery.
3. Public Speaking as a Communication Process
Public speaking is a process of communicating to a large group. It involves a sender, receiver and a message. The message is sent through various channels and generally results in feedback from the audience.
4. Being an Ethical Speaker: Guidelines & Issues
Public speaking should reflect the character of the speaker and should be based on a foundation of trust, integrity, respect and dignity. The speaker should avoid behaviors like stereotyping, damaging messages and plagiarism.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Test Prep & Practice course
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Analyzing a Text
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Evaluating Arguments
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Narrative Structure & Techniques
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Integrating Knowledge from Sources
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Sample Informational Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Sample Literary Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Accounts in Different Mediums
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Comparing Mediums in Literature
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Reflective & Research Writing
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Organizing Ideas in an Essay
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Types of Essays
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Writing Successful Essays
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Language Facility
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Writing & Reading for Comprehension
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Grammar
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Punctuation
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Writing Mechanics
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Critical Thinking & Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Audience in Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Speech Types & Considerations
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Speech Development
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Delivering a Speech
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Designing & Using Visual Aids for Speeches
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Listening Skills for Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10 Flashcards