About This Chapter
PARCC ELA- Grade 10: Listening Skills for Public Speaking - Chapter Summary
The chapter is composed of a series of lessons that are taught by our professional and knowledgeable instructors. In this chapter, you will learn about the importance of listening skills, which will be beneficial for the PARCC ELA Grade 10 exam. Following these lessons, you should have a firm understanding of:
- The difference between hearing and listening
- Effective listening
- Different types of listening
- Combining critical thinking with listening
- Tips on how to become a better listener
- Ways to improve your note-taking skills
- How to handle audience questions during a speech
As long as you have a reliable internet connection, you can access our resources in this chapter wherever you are. Our video lessons, written transcripts and lesson quizzes are all mobile friendly. You will have the flexibility to study on your home computer or your mobile device. Having this convenience will make your studying experience much easier and suitable for your schedule.
1. Hearing vs. Listening: Importance of Listening Skills for Speakers
While often used synonymously, hearing and listening are really two very different things. Hearing is involuntary and uncontrollable. Listening, however, requires an attention.
2. Effective Listening: Definition & Obstacles
It seems counterintuitive that a public speaker should focus on effective listening. However, a good public speaker must know a few things about his audience in order to effectively communicate his message.
3. Types of Listening: Pseudo-, Appreciative, Empathetic, Comprehensive & Critical
Although people communicate by sending a message to a receiver, the message is received in different ways depending on the information. Different types of listening styles help us effectively understand messages we receive.
4. Critical Listening & Thinking: Evaluating Others' Speeches
Critical listening skills go far beyond just hearing a speaker's message. They involve analyzing the information in a speech and making important decisions about truth, authenticity and relevance. Learn about critical listening and thinking skills in this lesson.
5. Becoming a Better Listener: Tips & Strategies
Some people say listening is an art, but to be a good listener, it takes skill. There are strategies one can use to be a good listener. Some strategies include use of body language, asking the right questions and even empathy.
6. Improving your Note-taking Skills: Strategies for Mapping a Speech
When attending a speaking event, the tendency is to listen to what the speaker has to say. But it is equally important to take careful notes to determine the central idea of the speech.
7. Tips for Handling Audience Questions During a Presentation
An essential part of a professional presentation is providing a question and answer forum. This lesson covers tips for handing audience questions during a presentation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Test Prep & Practice course
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Analyzing a Text
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Evaluating Arguments
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Narrative Structure & Techniques
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Integrating Knowledge from Sources
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Sample Informational Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Sample Literary Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Accounts in Different Mediums
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Comparing Mediums in Literature
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Reflective & Research Writing
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Organizing Ideas in an Essay
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Types of Essays
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Writing Successful Essays
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Language Facility
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Writing & Reading for Comprehension
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Grammar
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Punctuation
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Writing Mechanics
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Fundamentals of Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Critical Thinking & Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Audience in Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Speech Types & Considerations
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Speech Development
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Delivering a Speech
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Designing & Using Visual Aids for Speeches
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10 Flashcards