About This Chapter
PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Organizing Ideas in an Essay - Chapter Summary
One of the most crucial first steps in writing an essay is organizing your ideas and determining how to structure them in a cohesive, logical and easy-to-understand manner. The video lessons in this study guide chapter will help you learn the organizational techniques used to write an effective essay. Topics examined in this chapter include:
- Categorizing your ideas and information
- Organizational techniques for essay writing
- Improving essay content through editing procedures
The information in this chapter is helpful in preparing you for the writing portion of the PARCC ELA Grade 10 exam, as well as equipping you with important writing skills that can be used on all future writing assignments. After reviewing the concepts presented in each chapter, use the brief lesson quizzes and chapter exam to assess how well you understand the information. If you need to re-examine a specific concept, each quiz has direct links back to specific points within the lessons for easy access to that information.
PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Organizing Ideas in an Essay Chapter Objectives
The Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers ELA Grade 10 exam is used to determine students' readiness for college and career opportunities by measuring their knowledge and skills in English and language arts content areas according to state standards. This exam is computer-based and requires students to read (sometimes watch video or listen to audio) and analyze fictional and non-fictional passages. They will then be required to write responses on what they've learned from the reading using the text or multi-media to support their arguments.
This chapter guides you in one of the most important steps of essay writing - organizing your ideas. Once you've organized and structured your thoughts, writing the essay won't be so intimidating. Utilize the resources provided in this chapter to fully prepare for the writing responses you'll encounter on the PARCC ELA Grade 10 exam. Practice your understanding with the quizzes, read the video transcripts, and refer any questions on the material to our expert instructors.
1. Organizing and Categorizing Ideas, Concepts and Information
In this lesson, you will learn clear, simple ways to group your ideas together. First, you'll figure out what the paper is about, and then the rest is easy!
2. How to Organize an Essay
In this video, we will cover the steps involved in organizing an essay. We'll talk about titles, introductory paragraphs, concluding paragraphs, main points, transition statements and editing.
3. How to Edit and Improve Essay Content
Going back through an essay that you've written in order to make substantive content improvements can be a daunting task. Fortunately, there are some basic principles that you can apply to whip your essay into shape.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Test Prep & Practice course
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Analyzing a Text
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Evaluating Arguments
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Narrative Structure & Techniques
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Integrating Knowledge from Sources
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Sample Informational Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Sample Literary Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Accounts in Different Mediums
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Comparing Mediums in Literature
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Reflective & Research Writing
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Types of Essays
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Writing Successful Essays
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Language Facility
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Writing & Reading for Comprehension
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Grammar
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Punctuation
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Writing Mechanics
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Fundamentals of Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Critical Thinking & Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Audience in Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Speech Types & Considerations
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Speech Development
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Delivering a Speech
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Designing & Using Visual Aids for Speeches
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Listening Skills for Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10 Flashcards