About This Chapter
PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Punctuation - Chapter Summary
The lessons within this chapter will help you gain a solid understanding of punctuation and its correct use. Study in order to successfully pass the PARCC ELA- Grade 10 Punctuation exam. Basic punctuation rules are the focal point of the chapter. The videos will give you visual explanations of the information covered, which includes:
- Proper use of commas
- Comma rules
- Avoiding comma mistakes
- Determining when to use colons, semicolons and periods
- Parentheses and dashes
- The use of hyphens, brackets, ellipses and quotation marks
Skilled and experienced instructors who know what it takes to pass this portion of the exam teach these lessons. The way these concepts are taught are engaging and informative. This will lead to an increased understanding of punctuation rules.
PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Punctuation Chapter Objectives
The PARCC ELA- Grade 10 Punctuation exam assesses students on subjects such as general punctuation rules. It will determine if you are prepared for college-level and career-level writing. The lessons that are found within the punctuation chapter are part of the English language arts/literacy tests portion of the PARCC annual exam, which is composed of 4 modules. The self-tested quizzes that are offered after each video lesson give you the opportunity to practice the test-taking skills that are needed for the questions on the PARCC ELA exam.
The PARCC ELA test is made up of reading passages, writing portions and questions that will measure how well you can read and write. The modules within the ELA exam will require you to have basic knowledge of proper punctuation rules. In order to write essays that exhibit high levels of performance, mastering basic punctuation rules are necessary.
1. Commas: Correct Usage & Basic Rules
Think that you know commas? You may be surprised. Even the most experienced writers have problems remembering all the rules. Learn the basics of comma usage in this first of two lessons on the comma.
2. Comma Usage: Avoid Confusion in Clauses & Contrasting Sentence Parts
Learn more about comma usage from the pros! There are just too many ways to use the comma (it's a basic punctuation mark, after all) to fit in one sentence. Watch here to learn about some of the more common traps students fall into when trying to put commas in the right place.
3. Punctuation: Using Colons, Semicolons & Periods
Periods, colons, and semicolons all have the ability to stop a sentence in its tracks, but for very different purposes. In this lesson, learn how and why we use them in our writing.
4. Parentheses and Dashes: Correct Usage
Parentheses and dashes are two different (but often confused) ways of setting off a chunk of information within a sentence - do you know how to use them correctly?
5. Using Hyphens, Brackets, Ellipses & Quotation Marks
Writing not only consists of letters and words but many forms of punctuation. Watch this video lesson to learn about four types of punctuation: hyphens, brackets, ellipses, and quotation marks.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Test Prep & Practice course
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Analyzing a Text
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Evaluating Arguments
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Narrative Structure & Techniques
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Integrating Knowledge from Sources
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Sample Informational Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Sample Literary Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Accounts in Different Mediums
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Comparing Mediums in Literature
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Reflective & Research Writing
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Organizing Ideas in an Essay
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Types of Essays
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Writing Successful Essays
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Language Facility
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Writing & Reading for Comprehension
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Grammar
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Writing Mechanics
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Fundamentals of Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Critical Thinking & Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Audience in Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Speech Types & Considerations
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Speech Development
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Delivering a Speech
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Designing & Using Visual Aids for Speeches
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Listening Skills for Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10 Flashcards