About This Chapter
PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Speech Types & Considerations - Chapter Summary
Understanding the intended purpose and audience of a speech will help determine which type of speech should be used. The more knowledge you accumulate in this area, the better you could perform on the PARCC ELA Grade 10 exam. This study guide will provide clarification on the various types, formats and considerations of speeches by examining topics that include:
- The three main kinds of speeches, including informative, persuasive and special occasion
- Informative and persuasive speeches
- The art of persuasion
- Ethical and legal issues associated with persuasive messages
- The speech type to use when addressing small audiences
The drafting and deliverance of purposeful speeches requires knowledge of the structure, function and audience of the specific speech type you are using. The video lessons in this chapter will help you understand these elements of speech and thus prepare you for these types of questions on the PARCC ELA Grade 10 exam. To guarantee you are fully comprehending the material covered in each lesson, take the lesson quizzes and chapter exam, which will highlight any areas you may need to review. Utilize the direct links within the quizzes to quickly access specific points within the video that discuss the topics you want to review. Full video transcripts with highlighted key words are also available as hard-copy study material.
1. Types of Speeches: Informative, Persuasive, and Special Occasion
There are essentially three types of speeches public speakers use to influence their audience. In this lesson, we'll look at those three types of speeches and how each serves a different purpose.
2. Patterns of Organization for Informative Speeches
Informational speeches are designed to inform an audience about a topic. The information should be organized so it is clear, logical and easy to understand and follow. The pattern of organization depends greatly on the information presented.
3. Patterns of Organization for Persuasive Speeches
Organizing information for a persuasive speech will help to convince your audience of your point and keeps information flowing in a logical order. This can be done using a problem/solution order or Monroe's motivated sequence pattern.
4. The Art of Persuasion in Public Speaking
Persuasion is all around you. You are likely trying to persuade someone or they are persuading you all of the time. In this lesson, you will learn about the different types of persuasion and the strategies you can use.
5. Legal and Ethical Concerns of Persuasive Messages
Persuasive messages are used to promote, advertise, advocate and inform individuals in the workplace. There are many legal and ethical concerns that need to be addressed when persuasive messages are used in a business environment.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Test Prep & Practice course
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Analyzing a Text
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Evaluating Arguments
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Narrative Structure & Techniques
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Integrating Knowledge from Sources
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Sample Informational Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Sample Literary Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Accounts in Different Mediums
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Comparing Mediums in Literature
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Reflective & Research Writing
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Organizing Ideas in an Essay
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Types of Essays
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Writing Successful Essays
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Language Facility
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Writing & Reading for Comprehension
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Grammar
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Punctuation
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Writing Mechanics
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Fundamentals of Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Critical Thinking & Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Audience in Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Speech Development
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Delivering a Speech
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Designing & Using Visual Aids for Speeches
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Listening Skills for Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10 Flashcards