About This Chapter
PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Writing Successful Essays - Chapter Summary
Use this chapter as you get set to ace the questions on the PARCC ELA - Grade 10 exam. In each of our lessons, there are details about writing essays. Look over the materials to improve your writing abilities. You could get help with:
- Developing a topic for an essay
- Writing a thesis statement, a strong body and an effective conclusion
- Utilizing rhetorical skills
- Understanding the basic structure and introduction of an essay
- Structuring and paragraphs in an essay
- Writing and using transitional sentences
- Bettering paragraphs for the SAT
In order to do well on the PARCC ELA Grade 10 exam, you can go through each one of our lessons. They will give you a better understanding of what a good essay looks like. Watch the videos and read the comprehensive transcripts. You can even ask questions of the experts by using an interactive feature on the Dashboard.
PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Writing Successful Essays Chapter Objectives
The PARCC ELA Grade 10 exam is designed to assess the skills you picked up, helping you become better-prepared for life outside of high school. There are multiple-choice questions on the exam, which require you to analyze different texts and passages. The material covered in this educational chapter is part of the ELA section of the exam. Passing this portion is possible if you actively review the material within every lesson. Then, take advantage of the self-assessment quizzes to ensure you are learning correctly.
1. Developing the Essay Topic
The backbone of any essay is a strong and engaging main idea. Learn how to turn an essay prompt into a well-developed topic by watching this video lesson.
2. Basic Essay Structure: The Five-Paragraph Essay
Working with an established essay structure provides writers with the necessary elements of a successful essay. In this lesson, we'll work through the drafting process for the five-paragraph essay and make note of important dos and don'ts.
3. Using Rhetorical Skills to Write Better Essays
In this video, you will explore the basics of identifying your purpose and audience and learn how to use effective rhetorical skills in your persuasive writing.
4. Essay Introduction: Write a Thesis and Capture Your Audience
We'll look at the importance of the introductory paragraph and engaging your audience through the use of attention getters, a bridge, and an arguable thesis. Three of the most common attention getters are specifically defined, and examples are provided in this lesson.
5. What is a Thesis Statement?
Before we can talk about how to write a great thesis statement, you need to be able to identify a great thesis when you see one. Contrary to what you may have been taught, a thesis is so much more than just the last sentence of the opening paragraph of an essay.
6. How to Write a Thesis Statement
Find yourself confounded by thesis statements? Writing an excellent thesis statement doesn't require magic or luck, but it does require a few key elements we'll lay out for you in the lesson that follows.
7. How to Write a Strong Essay Body
This video will show you how to achieve unified, coherent body paragraphs in your essays. By creating well-developed body paragraphs, your essays will be cleaner, sharper and earn you a better grade!
8. How to Structure Paragraphs in an Essay
When structuring a paragraph, you shouldn't just go throwing together a few sentences. The sentences that make up a paragraph should all flow together and represent the same topic to make up a strong paragraph. This video explains how to put together your sentences and paragraphs to maximize their impact.
9. Practice with Improving Paragraphs for the SAT
The SAT has undergone some pretty big changes as of March 2016, but that doesn't mean that the skills tested in improving paragraph questions have disappeared! In this lesson, we walk through a few practice problems.
10. How to Write and Use Transition Sentences
Like a road map, transitions guide readers through your essay. This lesson examines the way writers transition between sentences, within paragraphs and between paragraphs to make for a smooth reading experience.
11. How to Write Strong Transitions and Transitional Sentences
Transitions are the words and sentences that tie a work of writing together. They guide the reader from idea to idea, making connections that turns pieces into a whole. Find out more in this lesson.
12. How To Write Effective Conclusions: Importance and Elements
Follow this easy method to write a wonderful conclusion to your paper. Here you will find everything you need, including some most excellent writing tips!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Test Prep & Practice course
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Analyzing a Text
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Evaluating Arguments
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Narrative Structure & Techniques
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Integrating Knowledge from Sources
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Sample Informational Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Sample Literary Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Accounts in Different Mediums
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Comparing Mediums in Literature
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Reflective & Research Writing
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Organizing Ideas in an Essay
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Types of Essays
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Language Facility
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Writing & Reading for Comprehension
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Grammar
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Punctuation
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Writing Mechanics
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Fundamentals of Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Critical Thinking & Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Audience in Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Speech Types & Considerations
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Speech Development
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Delivering a Speech
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Designing & Using Visual Aids for Speeches
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10: Listening Skills for Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 10 Flashcards