About This Chapter
PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Analyzing a Text - Chapter Summary
Analyzing text is the primary focus of the lessons in this chapter. Go through each lesson and try to retain many details about:
- The definition of inference
- Finding the central idea of a text
- Recognizing multiple themes
- The definition and concept of summary
- The connection of ideas
- The application of context
- Determining the meaning of words using context
- Supporting details
If you'd like to know more about the topics you'll be faced with during the PARCC ELA Grade 11 exam, you need to remember as many details as you can from this chapter. Watch several videos on the above subjects and ask questions of the expert instructors through the interactive Dashboard.
PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Analyzing a Text Chapter Objectives
Taking the PARCC ELA Grade 11 exam gives you the chance to assess the skills and knowledge you picked up, which will be needed for postsecondary education or a career. All of the questions included in this exam are multiple-choice. The material discussed in this educational chapter is part of the ELA portion of the exam. Reviewing each lesson, you will be able to pick up the skills needed to properly analyze a text. In turn, you could be ready for relevant topics on the exam.
1. What is Inference? - How to Infer Intended Meaning
In this lesson, we will define the terms inference and intended meaning. We will then discuss what steps to take when making inferences in literature.
2. How to Find the Theme or Central Idea
In this lesson, you'll learn how to identify the theme or central idea of a text, and you'll get some specific examples of themes from famous stories.
3. Identifying Multiple Themes & Theme Hierarchy
Most works of literature feature several themes at once. Some of these themes are more important than others. In this lesson, we will be defining theme, and discussing methods for identifying and ranking themes as they appear in a work of literature.
4. What is a Summary? - Definition & Concept
In this lesson you'll learn what summaries are and how they differ from other forms of condensed writing. You'll also be shown an example of a summary, and what should and should not be included in a summary paragraph.
5. How Ideas Are Connected in a Text
The lesson will focus on describing strategies used for ensuring coherence and cohesion in a historical text. It will help readers to learn how both are used, while using examples from an American History and World History text.
6. What is Context? - Definition & Application
In writing, context is the information surrounding the information. Without context, information can be misinterpreted; with context, information can be understood.
7. How to Use Context to Determine the Meaning of Words
With diligence and intrepid ingenuity, you can use context to ascertain the purport of a word. In other words, in this lesson, we'll find out how to use context to figure out what words mean.
8. Supporting Details: Definition & Examples
Find out what supporting details are and their role in essay writing. Learn the different ways to include supporting details, then take a quiz to test your new skills.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Test Prep & Practice course
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Evaluating Arguments
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Narrative Structure & Techniques
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Literature Spectrum
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Integrating Knowledge from Sources
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Sample Informational Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Sample Literary Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Accounts in Different Mediums
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Comparing Mediums in Literature
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Reflective & Research Writing
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Organizing Ideas in an Essay
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Types of Essay
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Writing Successful Essays
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Language Facility
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Writing & Reading for Comprehension
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Grammar
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Punctuation
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Writing Mechanics
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Fundamentals of Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Critical Thinking & Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Importance of Audience in Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Speech Types & Considerations
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Speech Development
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Delivering a Speech
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Using Visual Aids for Speeches
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Listening Skills for Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11 Flashcards