About This Chapter
PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Critical Thinking & Public Speaking - Chapter Summary
Use this chapter to learn about the mental processes and psychological issues that can affect a speaker and the audience's reaction to what is said. These engaging lessons come with quizzes and a practice exam to give you a chance to experience the type of questions you may see on the PARCC ELA - Grade 11 exam. Topics covered in the chapter are:
- Deductive and inductive reasoning
- Selective exposure theory
- Ethos, logos and pathos
- Group public speaking
- Public speaking and diversity
The mostly video-based lessons come with a written transcript that enhances comprehension as well as an interactive video timeline to enable efficient review by topic. Our instructors are available to answer your questions through the system interface as you go along. For an information retention boost, use the lesson quizzes and practice exam.
PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Critical Thinking & Public Speaking Chapter Objectives
Each year, several participating states test the 11th-grade population on the English language arts core standards by administering the PARCC ELA - Grade 11 exam. This chapter is relevant to portions of the exam that deal with the communication of ideas to an audience. The computer-based test is given over three sessions: Unit 1 - Literary Analysis, 110 minutes; Unit 2 - Research Simulation, 110 minutes; and Unit 3 - Narrative Writing, 90 minutes. Questions are formatted as either multiple-choice, written-response, or technology-enhanced (interactive).
1. The Differences Between Inductive and Deductive Reasoning
Inductive and deductive reasoning are often confused. This lesson introduces the concept of reasoning and gives you tips and tricks to keeping inductive and deductive reasoning straight.
2. Selective Exposure Theory & Public Speaking
Selective exposure theory has a great impact on you as a speaker and as a listener. This lesson will help you understand selective exposure theory and how to deal with it in public speaking.
3. Ethos, Pathos, and Logos: Importance in Public Speaking
Ethos, pathos, and logos are the foundation modes of persuasion, also known as appeals. In this lesson, you will learn about the different modes of persuasion and how to incorporate them into your speech.
4. Teamwork in Public Speaking
In this lesson, learn how to plan and deliver speeches as a group. Discover specific techniques to help you learn how to accomplish tasks together, communicate effectively, and present cohesively as a single unit.
5. Diverse Perspectives in Public Speaking
When crafting a speech, a writer must be aware of a myriad of things: what is the speech about, what is my stance, what is my audience, where will my speech be delivered? Something we often forget to address is the variety of perspectives. In this lesson, we focus on addressing the various perspectives and integrating them into a speech, covering three strategies.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Test Prep & Practice course
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Analyzing a Text
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Evaluating Arguments
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Narrative Structure & Techniques
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Literature Spectrum
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Integrating Knowledge from Sources
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Sample Informational Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Sample Literary Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Accounts in Different Mediums
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Comparing Mediums in Literature
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Reflective & Research Writing
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Organizing Ideas in an Essay
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Types of Essay
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Writing Successful Essays
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Language Facility
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Writing & Reading for Comprehension
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Grammar
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Punctuation
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Writing Mechanics
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Fundamentals of Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Importance of Audience in Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Speech Types & Considerations
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Speech Development
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Delivering a Speech
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Using Visual Aids for Speeches
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Listening Skills for Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11 Flashcards