About This Chapter
PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Fundamentals of Public Speaking - Chapter Summary
This chapter will introduce you to public speaking, why you may need to do it, and how it is different from casual conversation. Each lesson comes with a quiz to help you ensure retention of the material for enhanced performance on the PARCC ELA - Grade 11 exam. Other lesson topics you will cover in this chapter:
- Public speaking and the process of communication
- Ethical issues in public speaking
These video lessons are available for all the study and review you can stand. The videos come with an interactive timeline feature that enables you to find and view the video topic of your choice. Also presented is a written lesson transcript that gives you another way to learn the same material. Practice facing the kinds of questions you may find on the real test by taking our lesson quizzes and practice exam.
PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Fundamentals of Public Speaking Chapter Objectives
The annual PARCC ELA - Grade 11 exam is administered to 11th-grade high school students in several states. This chapter has relevance to the portion of the English Language Arts test that relates to the communication of ideas to an audience. The test is computer-based and questions are presented in multiple-choice, written-response, and technology-enhanced (interactive) formats. There are three test sessions: Unit 1 - Literary Analysis, 110 minutes; Unit 2 - Research Simulation, 110 minutes; and Unit 3 - Narrative Writing, 90 minutes.
1. What Is Public Speaking and Why Do I Need to Do It?
Public speaking is the process of communicating information to an audience. It is usually done before a large audience, like in school, the workplace and even in our personal lives. The benefits of knowing how to communicate to an audience include sharpening critical thinking and verbal/non-verbal communication skills.
2. How Public Speaking Differs from Casual Conversation
Public speaking and casual conversation are similar in that they are done to inform, persuade or entertain an audience. They are different in that public speaking is more structured, is spoken in a formal language and has a formal delivery.
3. Public Speaking as a Communication Process
Public speaking is a process of communicating to a large group. It involves a sender, receiver and a message. The message is sent through various channels and generally results in feedback from the audience.
4. Being an Ethical Speaker: Guidelines & Issues
Public speaking should reflect the character of the speaker and should be based on a foundation of trust, integrity, respect and dignity. The speaker should avoid behaviors like stereotyping, damaging messages and plagiarism.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Test Prep & Practice course
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Analyzing a Text
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Evaluating Arguments
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Narrative Structure & Techniques
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Literature Spectrum
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Integrating Knowledge from Sources
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Sample Informational Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Sample Literary Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Accounts in Different Mediums
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Comparing Mediums in Literature
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Reflective & Research Writing
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Organizing Ideas in an Essay
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Types of Essay
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Writing Successful Essays
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Language Facility
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Writing & Reading for Comprehension
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Grammar
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Punctuation
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Writing Mechanics
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Critical Thinking & Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Importance of Audience in Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Speech Types & Considerations
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Speech Development
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Delivering a Speech
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Using Visual Aids for Speeches
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Listening Skills for Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11 Flashcards