About This Chapter
PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Listening Skills for Public Speaking - Chapter Summary
Before you take the PARCC ELA Grade 11 exam, check out this chapter. Its educational lessons chapter can help you improve your listening skills specifically for public speaking purposes. You can review these topics:
- Listening vs. hearing
- Different types of listening
- Effective and critical listening
- Ways to become a better listener
- Taking audience questions
- Bettering your note-taking skills
Progress through each lesson in this chapter in order to pick up useful details about what you might see on the PARCC ELA exam. After doing so, go ahead and use the self-assessment quizzes. They are designed to help you gauge your knowledge of various listening skills.
PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Listening Skills for Public Speaking Chapter Objectives
The PARCC ELA Grade 11 exam was made to help you identify the types of skills you possess when it comes to reading and writing. Taking this exam lets you prepare for the next level of learning, whether it's at college or in a career. All of the questions on this exam are multiple-choice. To study correctly for the listening skills portion of the ELA exam, be sure to go through each lesson and use our quizzes. Featuring an engaging format, they will help you effectively hold onto important information.
1. Hearing vs. Listening: Importance of Listening Skills for Speakers
While often used synonymously, hearing and listening are really two very different things. Hearing is involuntary and uncontrollable. Listening, however, requires an attention.
2. Effective Listening: Definition & Obstacles
It seems counterintuitive that a public speaker should focus on effective listening. However, a good public speaker must know a few things about his audience in order to effectively communicate his message.
3. Types of Listening: Pseudo-, Appreciative, Empathetic, Comprehensive & Critical
Although people communicate by sending a message to a receiver, the message is received in different ways depending on the information. Different types of listening styles help us effectively understand messages we receive.
4. Critical Listening & Thinking: Evaluating Others' Speeches
Critical listening skills go far beyond just hearing a speaker's message. They involve analyzing the information in a speech and making important decisions about truth, authenticity and relevance. Learn about critical listening and thinking skills in this lesson.
5. Becoming a Better Listener: Tips & Strategies
Some people say listening is an art, but to be a good listener, it takes skill. There are strategies one can use to be a good listener. Some strategies include use of body language, asking the right questions and even empathy.
6. Improving your Note-taking Skills: Strategies for Mapping a Speech
When attending a speaking event, the tendency is to listen to what the speaker has to say. But it is equally important to take careful notes to determine the central idea of the speech.
7. Tips for Handling Audience Questions During a Presentation
An essential part of a professional presentation is providing a question and answer forum. This lesson covers tips for handing audience questions during a presentation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Test Prep & Practice course
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Analyzing a Text
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Evaluating Arguments
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Narrative Structure & Techniques
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Literature Spectrum
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Integrating Knowledge from Sources
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Sample Informational Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Sample Literary Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Accounts in Different Mediums
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Comparing Mediums in Literature
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Reflective & Research Writing
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Organizing Ideas in an Essay
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Types of Essay
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Writing Successful Essays
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Language Facility
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Writing & Reading for Comprehension
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Grammar
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Punctuation
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Writing Mechanics
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Fundamentals of Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Critical Thinking & Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Importance of Audience in Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Speech Types & Considerations
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Speech Development
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Delivering a Speech
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Using Visual Aids for Speeches
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11 Flashcards