About This Chapter
PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Literature Spectrum - Chapter Summary
Do all you can to prepare for the PARCC ELA Grade 11 exam's questions on the literature spectrum. If you use the lessons that are in this chapter, you will be able to review different literature topics. Some of these include:
- The different types of fiction
- Types of short stories and plays
- Identifying key information in novels
- The content of various kinds of poems
- Elegy poems and free verse poetry
- Analysis of American short stories and poetry
- American poetry forms
- The contemporary American literary period and authors
- Modern American literature themes
Acquire as many skills as you can by reviewing the materials in each lesson. Once you do, you will be better prepared to answer literature-related questions on the actual test.
PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Literature Spectrum Chapter Objectives
In order to assess your understanding of literature and writing, you can take the PARCC ELA Grade 11 exam. It was designed to help get you ready for the next step after high school. It contains different sections, but the material in this chapter is part of the ELA section of the test. Multiple-choice questions will be on the test. After you have learned about the different components of poems, novels and short stories, test your knowledge with our self-assessment quizzes.
1. Types of Fiction: Novels, Novellas & Short Stories
Learn how fiction is organized by length into three categories: novels, novellas and short stories. Explore the general characteristics of each type, and learn about some famous examples.
2. Using Key Information to Identify Different Types of Novels
A novel is a type of literary work. There are many different novel genres that appeal to all types of audiences, but in this lesson we will focus on a popular five: non-fiction, coming of age, gothic, graphic and modern fantasy.
3. Short Stories: Types & Examples
Short stories can range from a few sentences to dozens of pages. Each short story type has unique components distinguishing it from other short story styles. In this lesson, we will cover three types of short stories: the lyrical short story, flash fiction, and the vignette.
4. Types of Plays by Structure & Period
In this lesson, we'll explore the development of structure in drama. Specifically, we'll look at structure changes influenced by staging and audience expectations during the Ancient Greek, Renaissance, and Modern periods.
5. Structure & Content of Different Types of Poems
Poetry comes in many forms. Some poets use structured patterns of rhyme and meter, while other forms of poetry do not adhere to any type of standard configuration. In this lesson, we will learn more about different types of poetry.
6. Elegy Poems: Definition & Examples
For centuries, people have expressed their grief for the loss of loved ones in elegies. Learn how the elegy differs from the eulogy and how Don McLean's 'American Pie' falls into the ranks of Walt Whitman's 'O Captain! My Captain!'
7. What Is Free Verse Poetry? - Examples & Definition
Did you know that Walt Whitman, who lived in the mid-1800s, was influential in shaping the American identity? Find out how his writing style is connected to the King James Bible and the famous Beat poet Allen Ginsberg.
8. Analyzing American Poetry: Terms and Examples
It can sometimes be tough to figure out what a poem means. This lesson provides some tools to help you analyze poetry and develop your interpretations.
9. Form & Meaning in Poetry
In this lesson, we will explore how form and content combine to create meaning in poetry. Along the way, we will examine the components of poetic form and content and define poetic meaning.
10. Identifying Forms in American Poetry
There is more to poetry than symbolism and imagery. This lesson will help you figure out meter and rhyme schemes in poetry, with some classic American poems as examples.
11. Analyzing the American Short Story: Techniques and Examples
Identifying the tone, setting, and mood in a short story can help you analyze that story. In this lesson, we'll think about those literary features in the context of a few well-known American short stories.
12. The Contemporary Period in American Literature
Learn about how Contemporary literature developed and understand its fundamental characteristics. Find out how American history and cultural norms really defined and developed the Contemporary period in American literature.
13. Contemporary American Literature: Authors and Major Works
This lesson helps you decipher pieces of contemporary American literature by looking at famous examples from some of the greatest authors of the time.
14. Themes in Modern American Literature
This lesson identifies four important themes in Modern American Literature: alienation, transformation, consumption, and the relativity of truth. These themes reflect the distinct sensibilities of both the modernist and postmodern aesthetic movements.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Test Prep & Practice course
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Analyzing a Text
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Evaluating Arguments
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Narrative Structure & Techniques
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Integrating Knowledge from Sources
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Sample Informational Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Sample Literary Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Accounts in Different Mediums
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Comparing Mediums in Literature
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Reflective & Research Writing
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Organizing Ideas in an Essay
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Types of Essay
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Writing Successful Essays
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Language Facility
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Writing & Reading for Comprehension
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Grammar
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Punctuation
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Writing Mechanics
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Fundamentals of Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Critical Thinking & Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Importance of Audience in Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Speech Types & Considerations
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Speech Development
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Delivering a Speech
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Using Visual Aids for Speeches
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Listening Skills for Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11 Flashcards