About This Chapter
PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Sample Informational Texts - Chapter Summary
Get ready for the PARCC ELA - Grade 11 exam by going over the lessons in this chapter. Our instructors will guide you through the analysis of various informational texts in order that you may more fully understand the process and apply the methods and ideas to your own reading. Topics covered in this chapter:
- The Declaration of Independence
- Walden by Henry David Thoreau
- The books and background of H.L. Mencken
Our lessons are always available for your study and review. Videos come with written lesson transcripts to enhance your understanding of the material. Also employed are topic-searchable video timelines that enable you to more efficiently review. Finally, lesson quizzes and the practice exam will help you face the kinds of questions you are likely to find on the real assessment.
PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Sample Informational Texts Chapter Objectives
The PARCC ELA - Grade 11 exam is used annually by several participating states to measure the achievement of Common Core State Standards in English language arts by 11th-grade students. This chapter is relevant to portions of the test that deal with the analysis and understanding of informational texts. The computer-based exam is given in three sessions: Unit 1 - Literary Analysis, 110 minutes; Unit 2 - Research Simulation, 110 minutes; and Unit 3 - Narrative Writing, 90 minutes. The questions are presented in a few formats: multiple-choice, written response, and interactive or technology-enhanced.
1. The Declaration of Independence: Text, Signers and Legacy
After 12 years of tension and fighting, the colonists and their leaders were ready to declare themselves a new country, independent of Great Britain. This lesson examines the motives, the text, and the legacy of America's Declaration of Independence.
2. Henry David Thoreau's Walden: Summary and Analysis
Henry David Thoreau was one of the most influential transcendental American writers and Walden was one of the movement's most important works. Let's explore why.
3. H.L. Mencken: Biography & Books
H. L. Mencken is one of the most feared and revered critics of the 20th century. Read about how his writing helped influence much of the popular, social, and political culture.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Test Prep & Practice course
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Analyzing a Text
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Evaluating Arguments
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Narrative Structure & Techniques
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Literature Spectrum
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Integrating Knowledge from Sources
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Sample Literary Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Accounts in Different Mediums
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Comparing Mediums in Literature
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Reflective & Research Writing
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Organizing Ideas in an Essay
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Types of Essay
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Writing Successful Essays
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Language Facility
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Writing & Reading for Comprehension
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Grammar
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Punctuation
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Writing Mechanics
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Fundamentals of Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Critical Thinking & Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Importance of Audience in Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Speech Types & Considerations
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Speech Development
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Delivering a Speech
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Using Visual Aids for Speeches
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Listening Skills for Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11 Flashcards