About This Chapter
PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Sample Literary Texts - Chapter Summary
Explore some of the topics you'll find on the PARCC ELA - Grade 11 exam. The lessons in this chapter aim to better your understanding of sample literary texts. Using this chapter, you can review:
- The summary and characters of Jane Eyre and Don Quixote
- The Canterbury Tales
- Pride and Prejudice
- The Great Gatsby
- A summary of A Farewell to Arms
- Death of a Salesman and The Importance of Being Earnest
- A summary of Song of Myself
- The works of T.S. Eliot and Robert Frost
Expanding your knowledge of different novels is made easy when you study the lessons in this chapter. Studied extensively, they can help you get prepared for the exam.
PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Sample Literary Texts Chapter Objectives
Taking the PARCC ELA exam for Grade 11 gives you the chance to increase your understanding of different literature and writing topics. In turn, you can get ready for life outside of high school. The format of the questions on this exam is multiple-choice. Memorization skills are an important attribute to master for the literary text portion of the exam. To make sure you are ready, take a quiz at the end of every lesson.
1. Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer
This lesson analyzes Geoffrey Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, an early classic of English literature. In it we will highlight Chaucer's criticism of social rank, the position of women, and Church corruption.
2. Don Quixote: Summary, Characters, Themes & Author
Are you familiar with the classic scene from 'Don Quixote' where the main character attacks the windmills, mistaking them as giants? There is more to this novel, of course, and this lesson will explore its plot, characters, themes, and author.
3. Pride and Prejudice: Plot and Character Analysis
In this lesson, we'll go over the quintessential romantic comedy, Pride and Prejudice. We'll take a look at all of the factors conspiring to keep Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy apart as well as read some of Jane Austen's sparkling prose.
4. Jane Eyre: Summary, Characters and Analysis
Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte, was first published in 1847 under Bronte's pseudonym, Currier Bell. It's about a girl named - not surprisingly - Jane Eyre, and it's a bildungsroman, a coming-of-age story that follows Jane from childhood through motherhood. Many elements of Jane's life are similar to events in Charlotte Bronte's life. Because the work features a strong-willed and intelligent woman, it's often considered to be an early feminist text.
5. The Great Gatsby: Summary, Themes, Symbols, and Character
F. Scott Fitzgerald's 'The Great Gatsby' is considered by many critics to be the greatest American novel. Watch our video lesson on the novel to find out why!
6. Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms: Summary and Analysis
Ernest Hemingway's ''A Farewell to Arms'' is considered by some critics to be the best novel written in the WWI era. Learn why readers still love this story almost a century later.
7. Hamlet: Beyond the Famous Soliloquy
To be or not to be? In this lesson, that really is the question. Watch this video to learn all about Hamlet, one of Shakespeare's great tragedies. We'll explore its plot, characters and the meaning of that famous phrase.
8. The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde: Summary, Analysis & Criticism
Oscar Wilde's play ''The Importance of Being Earnest'' is both humorous and lighthearted. Set in England and published in 1895, it is one of Wilde's best-loved works. In this lesson, we will learn about the plot of this famous play.
9. Miller's Death of a Salesman: Summary and Analysis
In 'Death of a Salesman,' Willy Loman just can't catch a break. And if the title is an indicator, things won't end well. In this lesson, we'll look at Arthur Miller's 1949 masterpiece about a salesman and his family.
10. Ode on a Grecian Urn by Keats: Analysis and Summary
In this lesson, learn about Romantic poet John Keats' 'Ode on a Grecian Urn,' which is considered one of the greatest odes ever written. In the poem, Keats has a surprisingly emotional reaction to staring at an old piece of pottery. We'll examine the story of the poem, its meaning and its form.
11. Song of Myself by Walt Whitman: Summary, Themes & Analysis
Walt Whitman's 'Song of Myself' is one of the most important poems in the American canon, important for both its use of language and its vision of equality. This lesson looks at the poem's structure, themes and interpretations.
12. Introduction to T.S. Eliot: Author Background, Works, and Style
This video introduces T.S. Eliot and his major works. It outlines his early life and move to England, and traces his stylistic evolution over his most famous and significant poems.
13. Who Is Robert Frost? - Biography & Poems
This lesson will explore the life and work of Robert Frost. We'll look at the context, ideas, influence, and the critical response that surrounds Frost's work.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Test Prep & Practice course
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Analyzing a Text
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Evaluating Arguments
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Narrative Structure & Techniques
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Literature Spectrum
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Integrating Knowledge from Sources
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Sample Informational Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Accounts in Different Mediums
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Comparing Mediums in Literature
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Reflective & Research Writing
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Organizing Ideas in an Essay
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Types of Essay
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Writing Successful Essays
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Language Facility
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Writing & Reading for Comprehension
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Grammar
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Punctuation
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Writing Mechanics
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Fundamentals of Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Critical Thinking & Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Importance of Audience in Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Speech Types & Considerations
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Speech Development
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Delivering a Speech
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Using Visual Aids for Speeches
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11: Listening Skills for Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 11 Flashcards