About This Chapter
PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Designing & Using Visual Aids for Speeches - Chapter Summary
We understand the impact that visual aids have on the learning process, which is why our instructors include a video with each of the lessons in this chapter. Visual aids are also an effective tool for keeping an audience engaged in a speech or presentation, and in this chapter you can explore the ways to do so before you take the PARCC ELA - Grade 9 exam. Specifically, you'll examine:
- Visuals' role in communication
- Textual vs. visual graphics for presenting data
- Ideal visual aids for business-related presentations
- Pros and cons of using technology for presentations
- Developing the tone of a PowerPoint presentation
- Types of slides
- Pointers for using handouts
As mentioned above, our instructors have put together engaging videos to help illustrate the material covered in each lesson. The lessons have been specially developed to review information about visual aids that you are likely to come across on the exam. As you make your way through the chapter, take self-assessment quizzes to apply what you've learned.
1. The Role of Visuals in Communication
Visuals used in business communication can help with message development. This lesson will explain how the use of visuals can increase understanding, development, communication, and the retainment of a message.
2. Using Visuals to Present Data: Textual Graphics vs. Visual Graphics
Textual and visual graphics can aid in visually presenting data to a business audience. You must first identify the type of data you will be presenting and then decide whether it is details, patterns or relationships being communicated.
3. Types of Visual Aids for Business Presentations
Visuals aids in business help create memorable key points, evaluate data, and understand complex relationships. There are many different types of visual aids that can be used in business presentations.
4. Using Technology to Deliver a Presentation: Pros, Cons & Strategies
In today's wired world, there are many different technology strategies companies can use to deliver a message effectively, from simple slide presentations to live videos. This lesson covers the basics of several popular technologies and addresses the pros and cons of each.
5. How to Set the Tone for Your PowerPoint Presentation
The tone of a speech has a lot to do with how the audience feels when you speak. In this lesson, we will discuss best practices when creating your slides and setting the tone for your presentation.
6. Types of Slides: Structured & Free-Form
Visual aids help an audience retain, understand and enjoy a business presentation. Two types of specific slides that can be selected to help communicate a message include structured and free-form.
7. Tips for Using Effective Handouts in a Presentation
Audience members expect to be educated, informed or persuaded during a presentation. Handouts aid in the recall of the information presented. There are specific tips for using effective handouts.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Test Prep & Practice course
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Analyzing a Text
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Evaluating Arguments
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Narrative Structure & Techniques
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Integrating Knowledge from Sources
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Sample Informational Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Sample Literary Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Accounts in Different Mediums
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Comparing Mediums in Literature
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Reflective & Research Writing
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Organizing Ideas in an Essay
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Types of Essays
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Writing Successful Essays
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Language Facility
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Writing & Reading for Comprehension
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Grammar
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Punctuation
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Writing Mechanics
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Fundamentals of Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Reasoning & Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Audience in Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Speech Types & Considerations
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Speech Development
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Delivering a Speech
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Listening Skills for Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9 Flashcards