About This Chapter
PARCC Grade 9 ELA: Reasoning and Public Speaking - Chapter Summary
Access the lessons in this chapter if you need a review of reasoning and public speaking topics to help you demonstrate proficiency in these topics at the grade 9 level. Take the opportunity to go over effective public speaking techniques, related theories and reasoning concepts prior to sitting for the PARCC ELA Grade 9 exam. A successful review of these lessons will be reflected by your ability to:
- Differentiate between deductive and inductive reasoning
- Explain the selective exposure theory and how it relates to public speaking
- Define the terms ethos, pathos and logos and provide examples of each
You can choose to watch the visual lessons or print and study lesson transcripts. Other tools include a timeline feature for jumping to points on the video that address only those topics you need to review, and self-assessment quizzes that help you gauge what you have retained from the lessons. Quizzes can be re-taken as many times as needed to ensure your knowledge of this material.
1. The Differences Between Inductive and Deductive Reasoning
Inductive and deductive reasoning are often confused. This lesson introduces the concept of reasoning and gives you tips and tricks to keeping inductive and deductive reasoning straight.
2. Selective Exposure Theory & Public Speaking
Selective exposure theory has a great impact on you as a speaker and as a listener. This lesson will help you understand selective exposure theory and how to deal with it in public speaking.
3. Ethos, Pathos, and Logos: Importance in Public Speaking
Ethos, pathos, and logos are the foundation modes of persuasion, also known as appeals. In this lesson, you will learn about the different modes of persuasion and how to incorporate them into your speech.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Test Prep & Practice course
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Analyzing a Text
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Evaluating Arguments
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Narrative Structure & Techniques
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Integrating Knowledge from Sources
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Sample Informational Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Sample Literary Texts
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Accounts in Different Mediums
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Comparing Mediums in Literature
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Reflective & Research Writing
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Organizing Ideas in an Essay
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Types of Essays
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Writing Successful Essays
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Language Facility
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Writing & Reading for Comprehension
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Grammar
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Punctuation
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Writing Mechanics
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Fundamentals of Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Audience in Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Speech Types & Considerations
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Speech Development
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Delivering a Speech
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Designing & Using Visual Aids for Speeches
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9: Listening Skills for Public Speaking
- PARCC ELA - Grade 9 Flashcards