About This Chapter
Parent-Child Communication & Conflict - Chapter Summary
Complete this chapter to study communication and conflict strategies between parents and children. The chapter's short and expertly taught lessons compare family communication styles and examine the factors that can lead to family conflicts. You'll then examine a variety of family conflict resolution strategies as well as effective methods for intervening with child neglect/abuse. By the end of the chapter, you should be equipped to:
- Compare types of family communication skills and styles
- Identify sources of family conflict
- Explain how health can be affected by family conflict
- Recognize effective activities for family conflict resolution
- Describe the characteristics and effects of child abuse and neglect
- Outline several intervention procedures for child abuse and neglect
Each lesson comes with a short quiz that goes over important family communication concepts. Take the chapter exam to make sure you fully understand the information, and feel free to reach out to our subject-matter experts if you have any questions. The chapter can be accessed at any time that fits your schedule, and you can use any computer or mobile device to access these study resources.
1. Family Communication: Styles & Skills
This lesson discusses how families communicate through different modes (open and closed) and means (direct and indirect) means of communication. To improve broken communication, different skills that are needed for open and direct communication are also discussed.
2. Family Conflict: Sources & Influence on Delinquency
The structure of the American family has changed significantly over the last 50 years. This lesson will discuss the changing American family, identify sources of conflict within the family, and show how this conflict can impact juvenile delinquency.
3. How Family Conflict Affects Health
In this lesson we'll be looking at how family conflict affects both physical and emotional health of individuals. We'll look at specific examples in families to elucidate the issues.
4. Family Conflict Resolution Activities
Helping families understand how conflicts work and how to resolve them is an important way of providing support. This lesson offers specific activities for teaching family conflict resolution skills.
5. Child Abuse and Neglect: 4 Major Types, Characteristics & Effects
Child abuse is a major problem in our world today. Counselors must be educated in the topic, particularly the four types of abuse, their effects, and what to focus on in therapy.
6. Child Abuse & Neglect Intervention Procedures
When child abuse or neglect is suspected, educators must take action. In this lesson, we'll discuss the procedures for intervening when child abuse or neglect is suspected.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Family & Consumer Sciences (040): Study Guide & Practice course
- Family Structure & Systems
- Basics of Interpersonal Relationships
- Stages of Adulthood & Aging
- Overview of Human Sexual Development
- Family Changes & Transitions
- Family Rights & Responsibilities
- The Development of Infants & Toddlers
- The Development of Preschoolers
- The Development of School-Aged Children
- The Development of Adolescents
- Basics of Preparing for Parenthood
- Prenatal Care, Fetal Development & Childbirth
- Parenting Process
- Life Choices & Personal Wellness
- Principles of Nutrition
- Impact of Nutrition on Personal Wellness
- Health Care Rights & Responsibilities
- Careers, Family & Community
- Factors That Influence Housing Selection
- Home Design Features
- Economics & Consumer Rights
- Resource Management & Consumption Behaviors
- MTTC Family & Consumer Sciences (040) Flashcards