About This Chapter
Parenting, Children's Health & Safety - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, we've provided a collection of lessons on parenting as well as children's safety and health topics that you can access at any time. Just a few of the concepts you'll explore include the various parenting styles and their impact on learning styles and confidence-building activities for kids. You'll also review health, nutrition and safety in early childhood, plus health behaviors and promotion. After completing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Outline the importance of personal hygiene for children
- Show how physical environments can affect children
- Detail the characteristics of people who neglect or abuse children
- Identify waring signs of child abuse and neglect
- Explain the impact of abuse and neglect on child development and growth
- Discuss different types of childcare programs
- Evaluate early childhood education programs
If you have questions as you complete these lessons, submit them through the Dashboard for an expert to answer. The lesson quizzes and chapter test are a helpful way to test your understanding and identify any further study that needs to be completed. These resources are available 24 hours a day for completely flexible study.
1. Parenting Styles: Authoritarian, Permissive & Neglectful
How do parenting styles differ from one another, and which are most effective? You'll follow expectant parents, Mary and Larry, as they walk their neighborhood and try to learn from other parents.
2. Impact of Parenting Styles on Different Styles of Learners
When you got in trouble as a child, how did your parents react? This lesson covers four different parenting styles identified in educational psychology, including authoritarian, authoritative, indulgent, and neglecting. Typical results from each parenting style are discussed in terms of children's behaviors, as well as application of the styles in a classroom environment.
3. Confidence Building Activities for Kids
Kids are often in need of a constant boost, especially when they're young. There are many ways we can help our students increase their confidence through activities. Here are a few examples.
4. Nutrition, Health, and Safety in Early Childhood
As children grow and develop, so do threats to their health. From nutrition and childhood obesity to accidents, this lesson will explore the issues that face children in early childhood and what parents can do to deal with them.
5. Health Behaviors and Promotion: Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, we will discuss health promotion, health behavior, and the three different kinds of disease prevention strategies you can employ to stay healthy for as long as possible.
6. Importance of Personal Hygiene for Children
If you have children or work with them, you probably know the importance of personal hygiene for children. We will examine examples of the consequences of poor hygiene and we will discuss several examples of what constitutes good personal hygiene for children.
7. Physical Environment for Children: Definition, Characteristics & Examples
A child's surroundings have an important impact on their well-being and development. This lesson defines the physical environment and explores some of that impact.
8. Characteristics of People Who Abuse or Neglect Children
While it's prudent to look for signs of child abuse or neglect on the child, let's not forget to look at the other angle, at the potential abuser. This lesson provides some signs and characteristics you should look out for regarding people who abuse or neglect children.
9. Warning Signs of Child Abuse
Children who are abused need immediate help. They may not even understand that they are victims. This lesson will help you spot some of the many signs of child abuse.
10. Warning Signs of Child Neglect
Children should never be neglected. Unfortunately, they are. Learn about the meaning of child neglect and what warning signs to look out for so you can help put an end to it.
11. The Impact of Abuse and Neglect on Child Growth & Development
A healthy family relationship can contribute positively to the growth and development of a child. Unfortunately, unhealthy and abusive relationships do occur. This lesson will describe characteristics of abusers and the impact of abuse on a child's growth and development.
12. Types of Childcare Programs
Childcare decisions can be difficult due to the myriad options. This lesson offers a breakdown of the main questions to consider when looking for childcare. Options associated with each question are explained in the lesson.
13. Evaluating Early Childhood Education Programs
How do parents select an early childhood education program for their children? This lesson will discuss early childhood education programs and the standards that can be used to evaluate them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OAE Family & Consumer Sciences (022): Study Guide & Practice course
- Human Development & Genetics
- Dimensions of Development Across Childhood
- Dimensions of Development Across Adulthood
- Interpersonal Relationships & Communication
- Families & Well-Being
- Planning for Pregnancy, Childbirth & Parenting
- Personal Budgets, Banking & Insurance
- Financial Resource Management
- Consumer Credit
- Economics & Consumerism
- Consumer Skills
- Housing, Interiors & Furniture
- Textiles & Apparel
- Nutrient Sources & Functions
- Basics of Nutrition & Food Science
- Food Safety & Sanitation
- Food Preparation & Menu Planning
- Family & Consumer Science Careers
- Employment & Employability Skills