About This Chapter
Parenting Process - Chapter Summary
Getting ready for test day is easy with this engaging chapter covering the parenting process. Explore the process of teaching life skills to children and look at different kinds of parenting styles. Once you've completed this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Describe key issues and parenting forms during the early years
- Understand ways in which to interact with children during the middle years
- Teach life skills to children
- Differentiate between permissive, authoritarian and neglectful parenting styles
- Outline the impact of parenting styles on different styles of learners
- Explain the parent-child relationship
This chapter contains engaging video lessons and self-assessment quizzes that make reviewing this information very easy. If you like to study offline, the printable lesson transcripts will be an invaluable resource. Ahead of exam day, see where you might need to focus by taking the lesson quizzes and comprehensive chapter test.
1. Parenthood During The Early Years: Key Issues & Parenting Forms
Parenting can be stressful! There are specific challenges that parents face when they have young children. In this lesson, we'll look at some of the issues inherent in the early years of parenting, including the four major parenting styles.
2. Parenthood During the Middle Years: Interacting with Children
In this lesson, we will explore the issues related to parenting and child-rearing in mid-life. We will look at how developing one's identity influences parent-child relationships in positive and negative ways.
3. Teaching Life Skills to Children
This engaging lesson addresses a very important part of growing up, learning life skills. This lesson will review what life skills are and give examples on teaching some of the important ones within the classroom.
4. Parenting Styles: Authoritarian, Permissive & Neglectful
How do parenting styles differ from one another, and which are most effective? You'll follow expectant parents, Mary and Larry, as they walk their neighborhood and try to learn from other parents.
5. Impact of Parenting Styles on Different Styles of Learners
When you got in trouble as a child, how did your parents react? This lesson covers four different parenting styles identified in educational psychology, including authoritarian, authoritative, indulgent, and neglecting. Typical results from each parenting style are discussed in terms of children's behaviors, as well as application of the styles in a classroom environment.
6. Parent-Child Relationships: Definition & Explanation
The parent-child relationship is often considered to be the most enduring and significant relationship in one's life. This lesson will explain the different types of parent-child relationships and how they impact development. The lesson will end with a brief quiz to test your knowledge.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Family & Consumer Sciences (040): Study Guide & Practice course
- Family Structure & Systems
- Basics of Interpersonal Relationships
- Stages of Adulthood & Aging
- Overview of Human Sexual Development
- Family Changes & Transitions
- Family Rights & Responsibilities
- The Development of Infants & Toddlers
- The Development of Preschoolers
- The Development of School-Aged Children
- The Development of Adolescents
- Basics of Preparing for Parenthood
- Prenatal Care, Fetal Development & Childbirth
- Parent-Child Communication & Conflict
- Life Choices & Personal Wellness
- Principles of Nutrition
- Impact of Nutrition on Personal Wellness
- Health Care Rights & Responsibilities
- Careers, Family & Community
- Factors That Influence Housing Selection
- Home Design Features
- Economics & Consumer Rights
- Resource Management & Consumption Behaviors
- MTTC Family & Consumer Sciences (040) Flashcards