About This Chapter
Pastimes in Spanish - Chapter Summary
This collection of bite-sized video lessons introduces you to useful Spanish vocabulary terms that help you describe the things you do for fun. You'll also study the verb 'ir' and learn how to use it to talk about the near future. The chapter also helps you strengthen you reading and listening skills through practice activities and self-assessment quizzes. Our expert Spanish instructors are available to answer your questions, and you can study these lessons whenever you have free time. By the end of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Translate Spanish words related to fun pastimes and sports
- Conjugate 'ir' in the present tense
- Talk about events in the near future by using 'ir' + a + infinitive
- Recognize stem-changing verbs, including O - UE, E - IE and E - I
- Comprehend Spanish pastime vocabulary by reading and listening
1. Spanish Vocabulary for Fun Pastimes
Hobbies, pastimes, fun things to do… Learn how to talk about your favorite ways to pass the time in this vocabulary lesson. Learn Spanish words for 'beach,' 'movies,' 'surfing the net,' and more.
2. Spanish Verb IR: Present Tense Conjugations
Go! How often do we use the word 'go' in English? A lot! Spanish is the same way. Learn how to talk about where you're going in this lesson on the Spanish verb 'ir'.
3. Using ''Ir + a + Infinitive'' to Talk About the Near Future
The future is now. Add a new Spanish verb tense to your language repertoire with the 'near future' tense. Learn how to talk about what you're 'going to do' in this lesson.
4. Spanish Sports Vocabulary
Take me out to the ball game! Learn how to talk about some of your favorite sports in this vocabulary lesson that includes the words for baseball, basketball, boxing and more.
5. Stem Change Verbs in Spanish: O - UE
In this lesson, we will talk about stem change in Spanish and how it works when conjugating certain verbs. We will focus on the o > ue stem change in the present tense. We will also practice vocabulary related to describing the house.
6. Stem Change Verbs in Spanish: E - IE / E - I
In this lesson, we will talk about stem change in Spanish and how it works when conjugating certain verbs. We will focus on the e > ie and e > i stem changes in the present tense. We will also practice vocabulary related to describing a house.
7. Spanish Practice Activity: Reading About Pastimes
Listening, writing, speaking, and... reading! Test your Spanish reading skills in this practice activity on pastimes. Read about what people do in their free time and see how much you understand.
8. Spanish Practice Activity: Listening about Pastimes
Listen to people talking about their plans for the weekend using the near future with pastime and sports vocabulary. Test your Spanish ear in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Spanish 101: Beginning Spanish course
- Greetings & Introductions in Spanish
- Describing People in Spanish
- Locations in Spanish: Vocabulary & Grammar
- Household Terms in Spanish
- Weather and Seasons in Spanish
- Spanish Numbers
- Days & Dates in Spanish
- Telling Time in Spanish
- Likes and Dislikes in Spanish
- AR Verbs in Spanish: Present Tense Conjugation and Vocabulary List
- ER and IR Verbs in Spanish: Present Tense
- Technology in Spanish
- Talking About Family Members in Spanish
- Shopping in Spanish
- Discussing the Past in Spanish
- Talking About Vacations in Spanish
- TV, Movies & Media in Spanish
- Discussing Community in Spanish
- Discussing Natural Disasters/Emergencies in Spanish
- As a Child in Spanish
- Spanish Fables
- Required Assignments for Spanish 101
- Studying for Spanish 101