About This Chapter
Patella Injuries & Issues - Chapter Summary
This helpful chapter outlines issues and injuries associated with the patella. Topics covered here include the symptoms of chondromalacia patella and what is used to treat it, as well as patella femoral syndrome and patella baja. If you've struggled with these topics, feel free to review the lessons as many times as needed. Or, take the accompanying quiz to see how well you've understood and where you may need to focus further study. At any time, you're welcome to reach out to one of our instructors with your questions. After completing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain what the treatment is for bipartite patella
- Outline the symptoms of nail-patella syndrome
- Detail the stages and recovery period of patellar tendonitis
- Discuss the symptoms of a patellar tendon rupture
- Describe the rehabilitation required for a patellar tendon tear
- Identify the treatment for a dislocated patella
- Explain the symptoms of a patella fracture
1. Patella: Definition, Location & Function
This lesson goes over the definition, location, and function of the patella. You'll learn how to spot it as well as some of the proposed reasons for its existence.
2. Chondromalacia Patella: Symptoms & Causes
This lesson goes over a condition known as chondromalacia patella. You'll learn its definition, why it occurs, what can make that happen, and the signs and symptoms this leads to.
3. Chondromalacia Patella: Test, Treatment & Recovery
This lesson goes over the diagnosis, treatments, and recovery for a condition called chondromalacia patella. You'll learn if surgery is required and if a person can ever recover from it.
4. Patella Femoral Syndrome: Symptoms & Treatment
Patella femoral syndrome, or patellofemoral pain syndrome, is a disorder that affects the front of the knee. While this is not a life-threatening condition, it can be quite painful. In this lesson you will learn more about the symptoms and treatment of this disorder.
5. Patella Baja: Definition, Symptoms & Treatment
Patella baja is a condition in which the patella (knee cap) is lower than it should be in the knee joint. In this lesson, learn about the definition, symptoms, and treatment for patella baja.
6. What is a Bipartite Patella? - Types & Treatment
This lesson describes a relatively uncommon condition known as bipartite patella. You'll learn what it is, why it occurs, what types there are, and two major ways by which it can be treated.
7. Nail-Patella Syndrome: Symptoms, Complications & Treatment
Have you ever met someone with Nail-Patella Syndrome? Have you ever heard of Nail-Patella Syndrome? Probably not. In this lesson, you will learn all about Nail-Patella Syndrome, including its symptoms, complications, and possible treatments.
8. Patellar Tendonitis: Symptoms & Stages
Patellar tendonitis is a common injury to the knee that involves pain and inflammation of the patellar tendon. In this lesson, learn about the symptoms and various stages of patellar tendonitis.
9. Patellar Tendonitis: Treatment & Recovery
This lesson goes over the numerous different types of treatment options for patellar tendonitis. You'll learn about the major conservative management techniques and about other techniques, including surgery.
10. Patellar Tendon Rupture: Symptoms, Treatment & Recovery
A patellar tendon rupture is a very painful (and often loud) injury of the knee. This lesson will provide all kinds of information on this type of injury, including the symptoms, treatment, and recovery.
11. Patellar Tendon Tear: Symptoms, Treatment & Rehabilitation
The patellar tendon attaches the patella to the shinbone in the lower leg. In this lesson, learn about the symptoms, treatments, and rehabilitation for tears to the patellar tendon.
12. Dislocated Patella: Symptoms, Treatment & Recovery
Hopefully, your kneecap sits right in the middle of your knee. But if it's off to the side, you might have a dislocated patella. Find out what this is, what its signs and symptoms may be, and what its general treatment options are.
13. Patella Fracture: Symptoms & Treatment
What happens when you fracture your patella? This lesson tells you about some of the common signs and symptoms one can expect and the general treatment options that are available.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Basic Nursing Training course
- Diabetes Insipidus
- Diet Plans for Diabetes
- Surgical Procedures
- Treating Bites & Stings
- Identifying & Treating Bone Issues
- Treating Cystitis
- Weight-Related Issues
- Understanding & Treating Fistula
- Types & Application of Casts
- Types & Application of Splints
- Understanding & Treating Hernias
- Understanding & Treating Sciatica
- Understanding Joints & Joint Issues
- Understanding & Treating Hepatitis
- Understanding Occupational Disease
- Treating Occupational Disease
- Diseases of the Central Nervous System
- Digestive & Intestinal Diseases
- Rheumatic Fever & Heart Disease