About This Chapter
Pathogenic Diseases in India - Chapter Summary
This chapter includes lessons on pathogenic diseases in India, with information on flu viruses and HIV. You will also gain an understanding of common fungal infections. After completing the chapter, you should feel confident and ready to:
- Discuss pathogenic bacteria that can cause serious infections in the body
- Define fungi and parasite
- Recall the life cycle of a virus
- Explain how influenza and HIV evade the immune system
- Use medical terminology of major viruses
- Discuss categories of medical treatments used to control pathogens
- Explain major health problems in India
Each lesson is accompanied by a brief quiz to assess how much of the content and details you can recall. Video timelines let you review only the topics you need to review. You can make the most of the chapter by printing the quiz in worksheet form to use as an offline study guide.
1. Important Pathogenic Bacteria
We will discuss some of the pathogenic bacteria that cause common and sometimes serious infections in our bodies. We will look at the infections and their symptoms as well.
2. Fungi & Parasite Terminology
We will discuss a working definition for fungi and look at a couple of common fungal infections. Parasites will also be defined and discussed. We will touch on a few parasitic infections.
3. The Life Cycle of a Virus: How Viruses Live, Attack & Replicate
Find out how viruses infect and replicate as we explore the important steps of the virus life cycle, including attachment, uncoating, penetration, replication, and release, as well as the lysogenic and lytic cycles.
4. Flu Viruses, HIV and Immune System Evasion
Why is it that our immune systems can protect us from some viruses but not others? We've eradicated smallpox by using vaccines, so why do influenza and HIV remain such dangerous health risks? In this lesson about viruses, we'll explore these questions and learn how influenza and HIV continue to evade the human immune system.
5. Medical Terminology of Major Viruses
In this lesson, we are going to spend some time discussing a few members of the different major families of viruses that affect people. The signs and symptoms will also be discussed.
6. Medical Treatments to Control Pathogens
This lesson covers the different categories of medical treatments to control pathogens. We'll look at mechanisms of actions and examples of antibiotics, antivirals and antifungals, as well as the infections they're commonly used to treat.
7. Major Health Problems in India
This lesson gives you an overview of some of the major health problems facing India today. You'll also learn about some of the potential causes of these disorders and the impact they can have.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ICSE Biology: Study Guide & Syllabus course
- Microscopes Basics & Techniques
- Cell Structure Overview
- The Cell Cycle, Mitosis & Meiosis
- Basic Genetics Concepts
- Plant & Animal Biotechnology
- The Five Kingdoms of Living Organisms
- Plant Absorption & Transpiration
- Plant Respiration & Gas Exchange
- Plant Photosynthesis Processes
- Structure & Function of Flowering Plants
- Plant Pollination & Fertilization
- Animal Tissue: Structure & Function
- Macromolecules in Nutrition
- Digestive System Structure & Function
- Skeletal System Overview
- Structure & Function of Skin
- Respiratory System Overview
- Circulatory System Structure & Function
- Excretory System Overview
- Basics of the Nervous System
- Endocrine System Overview
- Human Reproduction & Development Basics
- Health Promotion & Disease Prevention
- Biotic & Abiotic Factors
- Population Growth & Control in India
- Types & Impact of Pollution
- Waste Generation & Management
- ICSE Biology Flashcards